A list of the best songs for healing a broken heart and music for letting go of someone you love, including angry breakup music and songs for broken hearts.
1989 – Taylor Swift will be one of your favorite break up songs if you liked “I Knew You Were Trouble” and “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” from “Red.”
These breakup songs are from people who are coping with broken hearts, separations, divorces, and saying good-bye to loved ones. And here’s why I wrote this article — it’s a comment from a reader on The Best Songs for Broken Hearts – Music to Heal Heartache: “Those are all good songs to break up by, but don’t forget about country music,” says this reader. When I made my original list of breakup songs, I didn’t include country music, rap, or anything other than the run-of-the-mill rock ‘n roll and pop songs.
But, that list of breakup music worked for some readers: “Wow, it’s like you stole my mp3 player and posted the saddest songs,” said Chris. “This is a great list! My favorite would have to be Avril Lavigne’s “So Much for My Happy Ending.”
I wanted to make a complete playlist of songs for every ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend who is sad or heartbroken…so here it is…
Break Up Music
“The song that has helped me get through my pending divorce is “Better in Time” by Leona Lewis. The lyrics are so very true when you are no longer with someone you have been with most of your life. I recommend it to anyone trying to move on after a breakup.” – Vida
- “Better in Time” by Leona Lewis
- “But “Not Gon’ Cry” by Mary J. Blige is one of the BEST songs for singles
- “Since U Been Gone” Kelly Clarkson
Shelly also says, ”It depends on your situation though.”
- “Walk Away” by Ben Harper
- “Where I Stood” by Missy Higgins
- “Over It” by Katherine McPhee
- “Out From Under” by Britney Spears
- “It is You” by Dana Glover
The best break up music makes you feel both sad and comforted, and like you can be strong enough to move on after a break up.
- “Growing up to do” By Joshua Radin
- “Violens” by Joey Cape
- “Moving On” by Deals Gone Bad
- “Wasted Days” by The Slackers – Joe
“These are all good songs to break up by, but obviously, the person who wrote the article about breakup songs, as well as the people commenting, are not into country music. Hank Snow’s “I Don’t Hurt Anymore” is a real good, feel good song for surviving a breakup, as well as his “I’m Movin’ On” and “The Golden Rocket”, both very dated train songs. Also, during the “crying in my beer” phase of a break up, there are countless older country songs for singles. Just about anything by Hank Williams, Sr., such as “Your Cheatin’ Heart”, or “I Can’t Help It If I’m Still In Love With You.”
Music for Moving on After a Break Up
From a lady’s perspective, try Kitty Wells, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn and others. Believe me, you’ll find plenty of great break up songs no matter what phase you’re in of being newly single. It doesn’t matter so much how a song is played, just listen to the words. That’s why they call it the “blues.” – C.
Want to Blossom?
- “Over You” by Acceptance
- “Starts with Goodbye” by Carrie Underwood
- “Look at Me Now” by DJ Jessy – Reema
“It really depends on your case/situation. My my ex broke us up (cos he’s still in love with his ex and his friends don’t like me for spending more time with him than them like he used to) …here are my best sad, heartbroken, and angry breakup songs and music to help you let go of someone you love…
Songs About Letting Go and Leaving Someone You Love
Healing after heartbreak isn’t just about moving “onwards and upwards” — it’s about saying good-bye to your old way of life and starting a new chapter! Albums like Sheryl Crow’s 100 Miles From Memphis might be good music for a broken heart because it’s distracting, which can be healthy.
- “You’ll See” by Madonna
- “My Happy Ending” by Avril Lavigne
- “What Goes Around Comes Around” by Justin Timberlake (one of my favorite music singles)
- “Better Off Alone” by Katharine McPhee
- “Deep Inside of You” by Third Eye Blind
- “All Good Things” by Mandy Moore
- “The Scientist” by Coldplay
- “White Flag” by Dido
- “See Ya” by Atomic Kitten
- “I Never Really Loved You Anyway” by The Corrs
- “Before He Cheats” by Carrie Underwood
- “Wake Up Call” by Maroon 5
- “Bottom of The Ocean” by Miley Cyrus
- “One of These Days” by Michelle Branch
- “Be Be Your Love” by Rachael Yamagata
- “Soon” by Leann Rimes
- “I Quit” by Hepburn
- ”Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani – Elly
- “Apologize” by One Republic
- ”Some Hearts” by Carrie Underwood
- ”White Horse” – Taylor Swift
Jewel’s You Were Meant for Me – Sometimes you don’t want a breakup song that reminds you of the future and happiness without your partner…sometimes you want to cling to the hope that you’ll be together again. Jewel’s breakup song is music for healing broken hearts, because it focuses on the certainty that you’re meant to be together.
Best Songs for Healing a Broken Heart
“After my very first boyfriend broke up with me, I made a playlist of music singles that I listened to over and over. Here are a few of the songs on it:
- “Keep Holding On” – Avril Lavigne
- “Used To” – Chris Daughtry
- “Hero” – Enrique Iglesias
- “Come Clean” – Hillary Duff
- “You Raise Me Up” – Josh Groban
- “Because of You” – Kelly Clarkson
- “I Hope You Dance” – Lee Ann Womack
- “All Good Things Come to an End” – Nelly Furtado
- “Let It Be” – Beatles
- “You Can’t Hurry Love” – Phil Collins – Morgan
Christine Aguilera’s Fighter – The opposite of encouraging tears to heal, Aguilera’s “Fighter” is all about getting stronger, working harder, getting faster, being wiser, and growing a thicker skin. The song lyrics focus on “thanks for making me a fighter” – which is a great way to heal a broken heart and let go of someone you love.
Music That Tells a Story of a Broken Relationship
“This song slims a five year relationship down to four minutes for me.: “So Much for Pretending” by Bryan White.
- “PS. I’m Still Not Over You” by Rihanna
- “Broken Hearted Girl” by Beyonce – Heather
- “You’re not sorry” by Taylor Swift – Veronica
- “How Do You Like Me Now” by Toby Keith – “This is a very uplifting kinda haha I’m gonna be ok and prove it to you kinda song”
- “Think Twice” by Celine Dion is my favorite break up song. – Nedira
- “Forget It” by Breaking Benjamin
- “Over” by Lindsay Lohan
- “If You Come Back to Me” by Bowling for Soup
- “A Friendly Goodbye” by Bowling for Soup
Sinead O’Connor’s Nothing Compares to You – This isn’t exactly the most empowering song, but it could be a good breakup song because it lets you soak in your misery (which isn’t always a bad thing). “It’s been so lonely without you here,” sings Sinead. “Nothing can stop these lonely tears from falling.” Yes, I recommend letting yourself wail and weep and mourn what you’ve lost – it’s music for healing a broken heart.
I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got is another song for letting go of someone you love, by Sinead.
Songs for Single People
“Those always a good few tunes for single people and they helped me a lot”. – Kait
- “After the Hurriance” by Jazmine Sullivan
- ”Lion Tigers Bears” by Jazmine Sullivan
- ”Regret” by Letoya Luckett – brokenheartedgirl
- “How Do You Heal a Broken Heart” by Chris Walker – Mark
And “Perfect” by Smashing Pumpkins is break up music that says it’s over but maybe in the next life we will get it right.” – Joseph.
Toni Braxton’s Un-Break My Heart – This is another great song that helps you get over a broken heart by encouraging the tears to flow. “Un-Break My Heart” is a breakup song – definitely music for healing a broken heart because it lets you immerse yourself in sorrow, which sometimes you have to do in order to heal.
Songs for Letting Go
If you feel depressed, read 7 Ways to Deal With Depression When You’re Getting Over a Breakup.
“My boyfriend and I just broke up. It has been hard but music has really got me through it. Here are some of my best break up songs about moving on and finding someone that better.”
- “Haven’t Met You Yet” by Michael Bublé
- “I’m Gonna Find Another You” by John Mayer
- “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room by John Mayer
- “Dreaming With a Broken Heart by John Mayer
- “Put Your Records on Lyrics” by Corrine Bailey
- “Hey, Soul Sister” by Train – Amanda D
“I think a really good song for people with broken hearts is “Need You Now” by Lady Antebellum. I listen to it and I really feel the song. It always makes me want to cry.” – Dee.
Destiny’s Child: Survivor/Independent Woman – This one of the best breakup songs ever because it’s all about how much smarter, wiser, richer, more successful, better, and more free she is. The best CD for a broken heart is one that focuses on the future. Hope, faith, sunshine, and blue skies ahead…
What are your favorite songs about breaking up with someone you love? Comments welcome below…
Need marriage help? Get free relationship advice from Marriage Coach Mort Fertel.
Want to Blossom into who God created you to be? Sign up for my free weekly "Blossom Tips" email!