It’s True Confessions time….
I call myself The Adventurous Writer, but the truth is I’d rather be The Adventurous Artist.
I’ve always had a secret dream of being an artist in New York City. I wanted to live in a huge airy loft filled with easels, oil paints, splattered rags, and paintings all over the room. I wanted to create vivid, rich, vibrant oil paintings of lush flowers and Parisian street scenes.
Now, the time has come to unveil and explore my dream of being an artist.
My husband gave me oil paints, brushes, and two canvases last Christmas. On my birthday in March, we went to Squamish, BC and found an easel in a thrift store. I borrowed a few books on how to paint from the library…and voila!
The artist in me is waking up.
Sign up for my free weekly "She Blossoms" newsletter
Somebody asked me if I took classes before I started painting. Nope! I just opened up a tube of paint and squeezed far too much on my palette. (I left my palette on the floor, and my dog fell asleep in a blob of green paint. Now we have splotches of green in various parts of the house.)
The road to creativity is messy and exciting! And it takes time. But it’s worth it.
Do you have a secret dream? Take baby steps towards it. Buy a book. Get your instruments, tools, supplies. Start dabbling. Don’t worry about taking classes or getting lessons – that can come later.
Examples of different kinds of creativity
- Visual: painting, drawing, fashion design, sculpture, photography
- Verbal: writing, blogging, acting
- Auditory: playing an instrument, film, spoken word poetry, singing
- Physical: dance, sports, body therapies
- Mechanical: architecture, engineering, tool design
- Textiles: quilting, sewing, knitting, crocheting
The seeds of your creativity are already planted in your heart and soul. Your job is to nurture them. They’ll grow by themselves – but they need you to give them air, light, and water.
Blessings and Blossoms,
New Blog Posts on Blossom
“A sheltered life can be a daring life as well. For all serious daring starts from within.” – Eudora Welty
- Christian Dating Advice for Women in Love
- How to Fix a Broken Relationship
- Coping Strategies for Stressful Relationships
- A Compatibility Test for Couples
- How to Become a Better Writer – an Artistic Perspective
- 10 Tips to Help You Start Your First Online Magazine
- Visualization Techniques and Tips for Getting Pregnant
- Natural Mood Stabilizers That Don’t Have Side Effects
- Sleep Eating Disorder – Signs, Symptoms, and Treatments
- How to Prepare for College – What You Need to Know
- How to Exercise Your Dog in Hot Weather
- How to Forgive Yourself for Not Protecting Your Dog
“The quieter you become, the more you can hear.” – Baba Ram Dass.
Laurie's "She Blossoms" Books
Growing Forward When You Can't Go Back offers hope, encouragement, and strength for women walking through loss. My Blossom Tips are fresh and practical - they stem from my own experiences with a schizophrenic mother, foster homes, a devastating family estrangement, and infertility.
How to Let Go of Someone You Love: Powerful Secrets (and Practical Tips!) for Healing Your Heart is filled with comforting and healthy breakup advice. The Blossom Tips will help you loosen unhealthy attachments to the past, seal your heart with peace, and move forward with joy.
When You Miss Him Like Crazy: 25 Lessons to Move You From Broken to Blossoming After a Breakup will help you refocus your life, re-create yourself, and start living fully again! Your spirit will rise and you'll blossom into who you were created to be.
The Adventurous Artist