Creating passive income is a great way to for writers to earn money! These tips for making money blogging will help writers monetize their blogs and earn a living with their words. It’s all about developing passive sources of writing income and finding your writer’s voice. Here’s what I recently learned about making money on my blogs — they are blogging tips I wish I would’ve known a year ago!
Before the tips, a quip:
“Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self.” – Cyril Connolly.
Whether you’re blogging for yourself or “the masses”, make sure you’re not adding information to the world that you wouldn’t want to see in the world. Your blog needs to be useful, helpful, relevant…and financially successful! Blogging 100 Success Secrets – 100 Most Asked Questions on Building, Optimizing, Publishing, Marketing and How to Make Money with Blogs is a great resource for bloggers and writers…and here are five tips to monetize your blog…
Make Money Blogging for Writers – 5 Tips for Creating Passive Income
1. Balance keyword strategy with voice. SEO (Search Engine Optimization) may attract readers to your blog – which can increase the money you make – but it’s difficult to balance SEO with your writing voice and style. This is still a struggle for me; sometimes I feel like my voice is lost in my keywords! But, if you want to make money blogging, you need to practice until you find your balance. Just like non-web writing, skillful blog writing takes years of practice. For help with search engine optimization, read SEO Tips for Writers and Bloggers.
2. Put Google Ads inside your blog posts. I know some writers and bloggers think ads are tacky – and I myself don’t love an ad smack in the middle of my articles – but, I really want to earn a living as a writer and blogger, so in they go. Maybe I’m selling out, maybe I’m making a smart business decision…I don’t know yet. But I do know that my Google revenues increase when ads are in the middle of my posts.
3. Don’t fill your sidebars with ads. My Quips and Tips for Achieving Your Goals blog once was littered with all manner of gigantic flashing, blinking, and bleeping ads along the sides. It was painful even for me – and completely ineffective! To make money with your blog, keep your ads to a minimum.
4. Place a specific, relevant affiliate ad inside your post. Let’s face it: if you want to make money blogging (and not be another starving writer), you need ads. Explore the affiliate programs at ClickBank, Commission Junction, or LinkShare; put a small link or banner in your post after ensuring it’s relevant to your topic. Amazon also has a great affiliate program — read Amazon Advertising Tips for Bloggers and Writers.
5. Experiment with Chitika Ads. Darren Rowse at ProBlogger has said that Chitika is his number 2 way to make money blogging. I tried Chitika on my blogs for a couple of weeks, decided there were too many ads in my sidebars, and eliminated them….without checking to see if they were earning money! I discovered that they were earning money, and decided to give them another try.
Building a blog that actually makes money is a long process. It takes time to figure out what ads work on your blog, where they work best, and why. But, once you figure out your “secret formula”, all you have to do is write your blog posts and check your earnings! You may not reach hundreds of dollars a day for a year or two…but that’s not an impossible writing or blogging goal.
Do you want write for a living? Join the Writers Work Community and get professional career training, writing tools, an online portfolio, and more. Need encouragement? Sign up for my weekly "Echoes of Joy" email - it's free, short, and energizing. Like me!
What did I miss about making money blogging for writers? Is putting ads on your blog as a writer a sell-out? Is your blog ad-free…and you’d have it no other way? I welcome your thoughts below.