I’m a full-time freelance writer and blogger who needs these ways to be more a confident writer more than anyone! My husband and I just bought an expensive house in Vancouver (like, over a million buckaroos, my friends).
You know how unstable a freelance writing career is – especially if you’re a writer like me, who chooses to earn the bulk of her income from blogging.
Anxiety and me, we snuggle every night.
What if my blogs implode? What if I made a mistake by letting go of magazine writing to focus on blogging? What if we can’t meet the mortgage payments? What if the water, heat, and natural gas bills are higher than we anticipate? What if the housing market collapses, and we lose hundreds of thousands of dollars?
No sleep for me.
But today, I decided to take action. First, I re-read my favorite parts of Think Confident, Be Confident: A Four-Step Program to Eliminate Doubt (it’s a fabulous book for people who need to fire up their confidence!) Then, I brainstormed these ways to be more confident, which apply to all types of writers and bloggers…
5 Ways to be a More Confident Writer, Blogger, or Freelancer
1. Acknowledge cold, hard reality. My income is no longer the gravy that complements my husband’s meat-and-potatoes salary. Now, my income matters. A lot. That’s the reality that I’m beginning to accept, and I’m beginning to feel better! If you’re a freelance writer, you must accept that competition is stiff. To succeed, you must treat freelancing writing like a business. If you’re a blogger who hopes to earn money from blogging, you must realize it takes lots of time, energy, and trial-and-error to earn even just a few hundred dollars a month. Acknowledging reality makes you more confident…unless you get stuck in the judgment trap.
2. Accept – don’t judge – your situation. Calling our ginormous mortgage an “albatross around my neck” and saying “Omigosh omigosh omigosh, what have we done?” a gazillion times a day isn’t helpful. Instead of judging, I need to focus my energy. I need to find ways to be more confident — such as making a plan for my blogs and taking action. If you’re a freelance writer, don’t judge the magazine market (or editors) as good or bad…it is what it is. If you’re a blogger, don’t be discouraged or afraid that it takes time to make money blogging. See your situation for what it is, without letting doubt, anxiety, fear, or self-criticism hold you back.
3. Keep doing what works. I’ve learned a lot about freelance magazine writing and making money blogging over the past couple of years; I know a lot about what doesn’t work and a little about what works. Part of my action plan is to create – and regularly revisit – the things that work. For instance, I blogged about what works in 5 Tips for Advertising Amazon Products on Your Blog. But instead of just blogging about it, I’m creating my own notebook of what to do and what not to do. If you’re a freelance writer, do you learn from your successes and failures? Do you apply what you know – or do you keep making the same mistakes? Find and do what works.
4. Be open to new ways of doing things (abandon what doesn’t work). I’ve decided that this mortgage is a source of healthy stress. It’ll force me to take my blogs and writing career a step further. I’m out of my comfort zone financially, and I will take my blogs of their comfort zone, too! If you want to be a more confident writer, blogger, or freelancer, you need to keep stepping out of your comfort zone. You need to try new ways to pitch article ideas, find sources, and edit your writing. Instead of being paralyzed by fear and anxiety, see your situation as one big fat open door!
5. “Don’t overthink. Let passion override your fear.” This is a direct quote from @ProsperbyDesign; I saw it on Twitter as I began writing this post. It’s perfect. My husband and I decided to purchase our new house because it’s got two different views of the ocean and mountains, it’s all wood post and beam with floor-to-ceiling windows, and it’s bright, spacious, and airy. I am passionate about this house – I love it – and I’m passionate about my blogging and writing career! Instead of snuggling up with fear and anxiety, I’m going to stay focused on what I love. Fear and anxiety can go play outside for awhile.
Need encouragement? Get a beautiful FREE "She Blossoms" 2019 calendar when you sign up for my free weekly Blossom Tips!
What about you – do you want to be a more confident writer or blogger? I’d love to hear from you below…