This list of business writing jobs and rates will answer the question, “How much do writers make?” Note that these are business writing jobs and rates – they don’t include web writing, print magazine articles, book royalties, or blogging income.
If you want to make money as a freelance writer, you need to read Robert W. Bly’s books. He’s a professional copywriter, internet marketing strategist, and author who’s been making money writing for 30 years.
“Any time the client can make more money from what you write for them than they pay you to write it, you can charge high fees,” says Bly, author of The Copywriter’s Handbook: A Step-By-Step Guide To Writing Copy That Sells. “This is why direct response copywriting is so lucrative.”
The more money your client will make from your business writing, the more you can charge. Of course, your rates also depend on your experience, negotiation skills, and the writing project! To learn from one of the best copywriters in America, read The Copywriter’s Handbook: A Step-By-Step Guide To Writing Copy That Sells.
And, here’s a list of writing jobs and rates for business writers…
Business Writing Jobs and Rates – How Much Do Writers Make?
“Here’s where business attitude comes in: network, trace your time, join professional organizations, and study the markets,” writes Lynn Wasnak in Writer’s Market. “Learn how to query, then query like mad. Take chances by reaching for the next level. Learn to negotiate for a fee you can live on – your plumber does! Then get it in writing.”
Advertising and Public Relations Writing Jobs
Note how much writers make for speech writing and editing jobs…
- Advertising copywriting – $35-$150 per hour; $150-$9,000 per project; .25-$3 per word
- Advertising editing – $20-$125 per hour; .25-$1 per word
- Advertorials – $50-$180 per hour; $200-$1,875 per project; .75-$3 per word
- Business public relations – $30-$180 per hour; $200-$500 per day
- Catalogue copywriting – $25-$150 per hour; $25-$350 per item
- Direct mail copywriting – $35-$150 per hour; $500-$8,248 per project; $1-$4 per word
- Event promotions/publicity – $30-$125 per hour; $500 per day
- Press kits – $30-$180 per hour; .50-$2 per word
- Press/news release – $30-$180 per hour; $125-$1,500 per project; .40-$2 per word
- Speech writing/editing – $35-$167 per hour; $2,700-$10,000 per project; $100-$350 per minute (of spoken speech, not writing time!)
Business Writing Jobs
- Annual reports – $45-$180 per hour; $500-$15,000 per project; $100-$600 per hour
- Brochures, booklets, flyers – $30-$150 per hour; $300-$15,000 per project; .35-$2.50 per hour
- Business editing and writing (general) – $25-$150 per hour
- Business copyediting – $25-$125 per hour; $2-$4 per hour
- Corporate histories – $35-$180 per hour; $5,000-$160,000 per project; $1-$2 per hour
- Ghostwriting for businesses – $25-$150 per hour; $500-$3,000 per project; .50-$2.50 per hour
- Grantwriting for businesses – $30-$250 per hour; $500-$3,000 per project
- Newsletters – $35-$135 per hour; $1,000-$6,600 per project; $150-$750 per page
- Resume writing – $60-$100 per hour; $150-$500 per project
To learn how much print magazine and newspaper writers make, read How Much Do Freelance Writers Charge? Writing Jobs and Rates.
Sign up for my free weekly "She Blossoms" newsletter
These business writing jobs and rates are taken from Writer’s Market. They were compiled from voluntary surveys from members of numerous professional writers’ and editors’ associations and specialty groups. The more networking, marketing, querying, and studying of magazines and newspapers that you do, the more money you can make as a business writer.
Laurie's "She Blossoms" Books
Growing Forward When You Can't Go Back offers hope, encouragement, and strength for women walking through loss. My Blossom Tips are fresh and practical - they stem from my own experiences with a schizophrenic mother, foster homes, a devastating family estrangement, and infertility.
How to Let Go of Someone You Love: Powerful Secrets (and Practical Tips!) for Healing Your Heart is filled with comforting and healthy breakup advice. The Blossom Tips will help you loosen unhealthy attachments to the past, seal your heart with peace, and move forward with joy.
When You Miss Him Like Crazy: 25 Lessons to Move You From Broken to Blossoming After a Breakup will help you refocus your life, re-create yourself, and start living fully again! Your spirit will rise and you'll blossom into who you were created to be.