Halloween can be a great source of blog traffic or article ideas – if you can think of things to write about. These eight ideas for blog posts or magazine articles at Halloween go beyond the same old same old costumes, craft ideas, scary movies, etc…these ideas should prime the old Halloween pump for unusual twists on the usual nightmares!
Before the tips, a quip:
“We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled,” says Ray Bradbury. “The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over and let the beautiful stuff out.”
What are you being filled with these days, fellow scribes? Let the best come out in your writing or blogging. Right now, I’m being filled with blogging tips from Building Findable Websites: Web Standards SEO and Beyond by Aarron Walter. Click the book for details — it’s a fantastic resource for bloggers — and read on for several ideas for blog posts or magazine articles at Halloween…
Ideas for Blog Posts or Magazine Articles at Halloween
These tips apply to print magazine articles – but you have to pitch query letters at least four months in advance. You could pitch to online e-zines a month or so in advance (the earlier you pitch, the better!).
1. Different types of Halloween parties. Last week, I wrote Tips for Throwing a Halloween Costume Exchange Party on Quips & Tips for Achieving Your Goals. I love this article idea because it’s so practical – it helps people get rid of their old costumes and find new ones! When you’re looking for ideas for blog posts or magazine articles at Halloween, brainstorm different spins on party ideas. Think of the parties you’ve attended in the past: did anything noteworthy happen? Can you spin that into a blog post or article idea?
2. Different lifestyles at Halloween. How about eco-friendly foods, local foods, organic foods, or making Halloween treats with natural sources of food coloring? Or, think about the spiritual side of ghouls and goblins: can you come up with a different spin on Halloween for Christians, Jewish people, or Muslims? When you’re brainstorming ideas for blog posts or magazine articles at Halloween, think of how different lifestyles are affected.
3. Halloween costumes for unusual circumstances. Don’t just list trendy Halloween costume ideas or costumes for pets; it’s been done so often, you won’t see much blog traffic. Instead, blog about costumes for “big and tall” people, or costumes for infants. By the way — my Halloween costume posts have been a good source of blog traffic all year round – not just at Halloween!
4. The best Halloween books, movies, or music. Some people have whole collections of Halloween books, DVDs, or CDs…and what better than to write a blog post or magazine article about them at Halloween? Try to find a different spin, such as Halloween songs that include the word “pumpkin” or movies with scary clowns. If you want to make money on your blog, you could include direct links to Amazon.
5. Lessons you’ve learned. In university, I was the president of a club on campus. We organized a Halloween party, I had a wee bit too much Halloween punch, and 20 years later I still blush to think of dancing along with “The Rocky Horror Picture Show.” If you’re looking for ideas for blog posts or magazine articles at Halloween, think back to the Halloween lessons you’ve learned…and share your wisdom!
6. “Top 10 Halloween” ideas. Top 10s are tried-and-true ideas for blog posts or magazine articles, for any season or topic. For Halloween, you could write about the Top 10 Halloween Decorations, the Top 10 Types of Halloween Candy, or the Top 10 Halloween Blogs. I’ve found Top 10s to be a great way to increase blog readership.
7. Classy, upscale, or celebrity Halloween ideas. This could be a huge source of blog traffic; readers might love to learn how the rich and famous spend Halloween. You could share how movie stars’ kids spend Halloween, or what Halloween parties are like at very wealthy people’s places. Or, you could use your imagination and write something like “The Halloween Party That Cost $55,000” and get crazy with the details!
8. Invite Halloween guest bloggers. Find some of the most popular Halloween blogs, and invite the blogger to write a guest post for you. This is not only another great way to increase blog traffic, it’s also an effective way to find different ideas to blog about. Halloween bloggers have tons of tricks and treats up their sleeves. 🙂
What have I missed? If you have any thoughts or questions on these ideas for blog posts or magazine articles at Halloween, please comment below!