You want to increase your blog readership, right? These eight tips for promoting your blog are unusual and effective! The more readers you have, the more you’ll enjoy blogging and writing…and the more money you’ll make as a blogger.
If ProBlogger Darren Rowse was starting out in blogging right now, he said he’d use these five strategies together (not just one or two of them): guest posting, networking, advertising, social media, and viral content.
The takeaway? Successfully promoting your blog requires a combination of efforts — not just one or two web writing strategies. For more blog building and web writing tips, click on Rowse’s ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income, which he wrote with Chris Garrett (it’s “two thumbs up” material, fellow bloggers). And, read on for my eight unusual tips for promoting your blog…
Increasing Blog Readership – 8 Different Ways to Promote Your Blog
1. Figure out your reasons for promoting your blog. If you want to earn money from your blog, then you might want to focus primarily on search engine optimization tactics. Why? Because if an internet surfer has a specific problem (“How do I self-publish my book?”), and if your blog post (“5 Ways to Self-Publish Your Books”) is optimized for search engines, then readers who find your article might be more likely to click the “self-publish your book” ads on your blog. If your goal is to network with other writers/bloggers and improve your writing skills, then you might promote your blog on social media sites like Twitter or StumbleUpon. To promote your blog effectively, think about your long-term goals.
2. Don’t force “unnatural” ways to increase your blog readership. I’ve tried adding to discussion forums and commenting on other writers’ blogs for the sole purpose of promoting my own blog – and it doesn’t work. It’s not natural for me. To increase your readership, implement strategies that are part of the natural course of your day. For instance, I check Facebook every day to see how my friends and family are; I also upload a blog post to Facebook every time I log in. The more natural your blog promotion is, the more successful it’ll be.
3. Experiment with blog networks, such as Yahoo Shine. My favorite blog network for women is Yahoo Shine. Bloggers can post part or all of their articles there; I usually post my newest articles twice a week. Most of the traffic stays on Shine, but some readers do click over to my blog – it depends on how well I write my Shine post!
4. Try new affiliate programs. I’ve just been accepted into the BlogHer advertising program (yay!), and I think they highlight their affiliates’ blogs regularly. It’s all new to me – I’ll keep you posted – but suffice to say that some affiliate advertising programs do promote their affiliates’ blogs.
5. Pay to advertise your blog. I haven’t tried this tip for promoting any of my blogs, but I’ve heard it can be effective. You pay a few cents (or even one penny) per click when readers find you on big sites such as Facebook, Google AdWords, etc. You could also consider advertising on small but popular blogs in your niche.
6. Write for a big online magazine. It’s difficult to do, but this is a great way to make your blog more popular! When the MSN Health editors include my blog links at the end of the articles I write for them, I definitely get more traffic. A more stable stream of readers comes from my Feature Writer profile on Suite101 – which is a great reason to write for them! For more info, read 10 Reasons to Write for Suite101.
Sign up for my free weekly "She Blossoms" newsletter
7. Be search engine friendly, with strong content. This is by far my favorite way of promoting my Quips and Tips blogs! I want to help writers (and bloggers) find the answers they need, so I need to make sure my blog posts are optimized for search engines. If you’re curious about keywords and key phrases, read SEO Tips for Web Writers and Bloggers.
8. Spend an hour a week trying different ways to promote your blog. I’ve tried blog carnivals (with so-so success, but it depends on which blog carnival you try), StumbleUpon (high traffic, no ad revenue because readers seem to be hopping all over the place), FaceBook (good for sharing your posts with friends), and Twitter (pretty good for sharing posts, but I find it similar to StumbleUpon. Read Twitter Benefits for Freelance Writers for more info).
Laurie's "She Blossoms" Books
Growing Forward When You Can't Go Back offers hope, encouragement, and strength for women walking through loss. My Blossom Tips are fresh and practical - they stem from my own experiences with a schizophrenic mother, foster homes, a devastating family estrangement, and infertility.
How to Let Go of Someone You Love: Powerful Secrets (and Practical Tips!) for Healing Your Heart is filled with comforting and healthy breakup advice. The Blossom Tips will help you loosen unhealthy attachments to the past, seal your heart with peace, and move forward with joy.
When You Miss Him Like Crazy: 25 Lessons to Move You From Broken to Blossoming After a Breakup will help you refocus your life, re-create yourself, and start living fully again! Your spirit will rise and you'll blossom into who you were created to be.
What have I missed, fellow scribes – and did you learn anything new? If you have any questions or thoughts on these tips for promoting your blog, please share below…