If you have an online writer’s platform, you’ll improve your chances of getting published. Building a platform will help you connect with literary agents and book publishers, generate magazine assignments, improve book sales, and further a freelancer’s writing career!
These five tips for building a writer’s platform are from a published author.
Before the tips, a quip:
Writing With Flair - A Former Wall Street Journal Editor Teaches How To Write With Style, Confidence & Impact. Stop struggling to write! In this Udemy Course you'll learn the four ingredients of exceptional writing: simplicity, clarity, elegance and evocativeness. Your blogs, books and business writing will never be the same.
“Make an unwavering commitment to working on your book until it is finished, no matter what it takes or how difficult it may become at times,” writes Hal Elrod in The Author’s Guide to Building an Online Platform (compiled by Stephanie Chandler). “Decide ahead of time (and be okay with the fact) that you will likely face obstacles such as self-doubt, frustration, writer’s block, fear of failure, perfectionism, disgust for your work, hopelessness, complacency, and just plain boredom – to name a few – but that it is okay to feel those things and follow through with your commitment to write anyway.”
If you’ve actually written your book or e-book, signed on with a publishing house or published it yourself, and want to increase book sales – then you need to read The Author’s Guide to Building an Online Platform: Leveraging the Internet to Sell More Books. Stephanie Chandler interviewed several published authors for their secrets to success (and I’m not giving them all away here!).
Onwards, fellow scribes, for five tips for building an online platform for writers…
5 Tips for Building a Writer’s Platform
1. Make it easy to buy your book on your website or blog. “If you plan to sell your books on your website, you will need to set up a shopping cart and accept credit cards,” writes Chandler. She describes how Paypal, shopping carts, and Payloadz.com (the step before this 10 Tips for Starting a New Blog for Writers).
2. Become an expert. Since publishing a book builds instant credibility and often gives you the “expert” label, you might as well act like an expert! This means signing up on websites such as AllExperts.com. “Subjects are managed by volunteer experts who answer site visitors’ questions,” writes Chandler. “I have been a volunteer small business expert on this site for many years.” This exposure can increase your website traffic and build your business as a whole.
3. Write articles for popular blogs. To build your online platform, offer to write articles for other bloggers. (and if you want to write on for Quips & Tips for Successful Writers, I’d be happy to have you! Just leave a comment below). If guest blogging is new to you, you might find 5 Steps to Overcoming Your Fear of Guest Blogging helpful.
4. Start an online group. If you start your own group on, say, Yahoo, then you’ll build your online reputation as an expert in that group. “Your group should have a niche focus that relates to your book,” writes Chandler in The Author’s Guide to Building an Online Platform. “You want your group to attract new readers, so make sure it appeals to your target audience.”
5. Do a virtual book tour. To build an online platform, consider virtual book tours (authors make guest appearances in chat rooms, on message boards, and in blogs). Other online possibilities are teleseminars, webcasts, Internet radio interviews, webcasts, and podcasts. The idea is to spread your love all over the internet, in various ways.
Writing With Flair (Udemy Course - New Edition!) - A Magazine Editor Teaches How To Write With Style, Confidence & Impact. Shani Raja, a former Wall Street Journal editor, will teach you the secrets to making your writing sparkle. You'll discover the four ingredients of exceptional writing: simplicity, clarity, elegance and evocativeness. You'll write with more confidence and skill!
What have I missed? If you have any tips for building an online platform for writers, please share them below…