When you want a baby, you don’t want to be told to relax! But, knowing how to relax when you’re trying to get pregnant doesn’t just increase the chances of pregnancy, it softens the whole experience. The following tips range from relaxing with friends to relaxing in a spiritual sense.
Before the tips, a quip:
“Give your stress wings and let it fly away.” ~ Terri Guillemets.
That’s such a gentle, kind way to treat stress. Instead of gripping your hope and desire to get pregnant, let it go. Focus on enjoying your partner, anticipating the day you hear you’re pregnant, and relaxing your spirit and soul.
Physical Ways to Relax When You Want to Get Pregnant
– Get a full-body massage – and be sure to tell your massage therapist that you’re trying to get pregnant.
– Spend time out in nature: walking, skating skiing in the winter, hiking in the summer.
– Take a warm bubble bath (but if you’re a man with sperm health issues, check with your doctor first. Too much heat can damage sperm).
– Stop eating before you’re full – don’t gorge on chocolates, chips, or fast food.
– Get enough sleep.
– Reduce your caffeine intake – too much caffeine makes you jittery!
– Take prenatal vitamins, supplements, minerals – it’s both psychologically relaxing and physically healthy.
– Drinks lots of water.
– Get a manicure or pedicure.
– Make love for the sake of making love – not to try to get pregnant.
Psychological Ways to Relax
– Volunteer at a food bank, hospital, or animal shelter.
– Take downtime to snooze, read, relax.
– Play card and board games that make you laugh.
– Take a regular crossword puzzle or Suduku break.
– Pick your battles, choose your priorities.
– Let go of the little stuff.
– Watch your favorite funny TV shows or movies.
– Share your baking or meals with homebound people or lonely neighbors.
Relax With Friends – They Can Help You Get Pregnant!
– Tell your friends what you need. For instance, if you don’t want people to keep asking if you’re pregnant, tell them that you’ll give them the good news when you’re ready.
– Talk about the fact that you’re trying to get pregnant, but don’t dwell on it. Talk to your friends about your frustrations and joys.
– Have a relaxing glass of wine or a margarita with friends, but don’t overdo it (though many doctors and fertility experts say you shouldn’t drink at all when you’re trying to get pregnant).
– Prioritize invitations – don’t say “yes” to everything! Give yourself time to relax into a pregnancy mindset.
– Don’t compare your family or ability to get pregnant to other people’s.
How to Relax in Creative, Artistic Ways
– Paint, draw or carve your thoughts and feelings.
– Visit a museum or art gallery to reduce holiday stress.
– Go to a movie in the middle of the day by yourself.
– Listen to music that relaxes and/or energizes you.
– Go for a drive in the country; stop for hot chocolate and muffins.
– Write in your journal to reduce stress.
Emotional Ways to Relax When You’re Trying to Get Pregnant
– Practice gratitude.
– Have realistic expectations.
– Stay in touch with your authentic emotions.
– Cry, scream, or punch the pillow when you need to.
– Stop to take a deep breath every hour or so throughout the day.
– Let yourself grieve. Learning how to relax involves expressing your emotions.
– Keep your old traditions and habits alive, but be open to new ones.
How to Relax Spiritually
– Pray, and remember the big picture.
– Read the Bible, Torah, or other meaningful book.
– Seek the deep meaning behind church or mass services to reduce holiday stress.
– Remember that your God, Creator or Higher Power is working behind the scenes.
Adjust your perspective to include peace, compassion, and forgiveness.
The best way to relax when you’re trying to get pregnant is to avoid the people and activities that stress you up! While we can’t totally eliminate stress from our lives, we can choose who we spend time with and what we spend time doing.
I neglected to mention how important music is! Here’s a great way to relax when you’re trying to get pregnant: Zen and the Art of Relaxation.
Are you trying to get pregnant? Fairhaven Health's Hormone Balance Bundle improves egg quality, encourages cycle regularity, and helps your body ovulate regularly.
Need encouragement? Sign up for my weekly "Echoes of Joy" email - it's free, short, and energizing. Like me!
Do you have any thoughts on these tips for reducing the stress of infertility? Please comment below…