These tips for achieving weight loss goals will help you slim down and keep the weight off! Amy Hendel is a health expert and author of Fat Families, Thin Families. Here, she shares how people lose weight for good, with success strategies from real people.
First, a great quotation from actress Valerie Bertinelli:
“I’ve come to the realization that once you lose the weight, you don’t all of a sudden get happy,” says Bertinelli in People magazine. “Sure it’s easier to put on clothes, but I’ve lost the weight so many times thinking ‘Oh, if I just weighed this much I’d be so much happier.’ I know now that I still have to work on that other stuff that has nothing to do with weight.”
Losing weight won’t solve all your problems…in fact, weight loss can create new ones (such as jealous friends, partners who don’t want you to change, etc). But, it’s important to achieve your weight loss goals and slim down – and keep it off – which is why I’m featuring Hendel’s tips for achieving your weight loss goals. Click on the book cover for more info about Fat Families, Thin Families, and read on for her tips….
Tips for Achieving Your Weight Loss Goals
“If you read most of the People magazine ‘loser stories’ then you’ll see that most of these women and men have a ‘reality moment’,” says Hendel. “Then, they begin sensible eating programs and daily exercise.”
Here are some of her tips for achieving weight loss goals and slimming down:
1. Strategize to deal with different situations so that you control the food – and it doesn’t control you. Try smaller plates, flavored waters, always bringing a salad (veggie or fruit) or healthy dish to a party so you know there will be something you can comfortably eat. Call restaurants ahead of time to hear a menu so you’re not surprised and order food a certain way (eg, salad with dressing on the side, grilled with sauce on the side, berries and some sorbet for dessert)
2. Use a buddy or support system – many people who keep weight off do it as couples or a family, or even enlist co-workers to join in the effort. A support system can be a great way to achieve your weight loss goals and slim down for good.
3. Lose the word diet. Instead, adopt the words “lifestyle change.” This is not a temporary change – it’s a final decision to “change for good.”
4. Plan ahead. Think about what you’re eating in a given day in terms of calories and “the right fit of food.” Planning ahead can be an effective way to achieve your weight loss goals and slim down for good because it keeps you in the “lose” phase or the “staying off” phase.
Sign up for my free weekly "She Blossoms" newsletter
5. Eat more high-volume foods. Vegetables are high in fiber and water, and low in calories. Also, fulfill your daily value of fruit servings even if it means drinking 100% orange juice during your meals (OJ isn’t just for breakfast!).
6. Use a scale. To achieve your weight loss goals and slim down for good, weigh yourself on a regular basis. Also, use body measurements and clothing size as guidelines of achievement.
7. Don’t be easily derailed. People who slim down for good don’t let one bad choice or one bad day de-rail their efforts. For most “chronic dieters”, letting one day’s transgressions snowball into a “total dietary break out” is the death toll.
8. Subscribe to health or fitness magazines or blogs. Reading about how to achieve your weight loss goals and slim down for good can increase your motivation. Also, consider buying books on weight loss – people who lose weight and keep it off keeping educating themselves!
9. Exercise daily. Increase your daily activity as much as possible (this should go without saying, but so many of us don’t exercise at all!).
10. Lose the emotional pull of food as a primary way to relieve anxiety/stress. An effective way to achieve your weight loss goals and slim down for good is to replace food with other behaviors and rewards.
11. Focus on your health. Losing weight for health reasons seems to be a huge motivation. Vanity seems to be secondary. Also, losing weight for your kids is a strong motivation to achieve your weight loss goals.
12. Take it one day at a time – but pre-plan. Time your meals and include treats, but remember that they’re meant to be occasional pleasurable moments – not daily habits (this is something I’m struggling with right now! I’ve been eating my double chocolate chunk cookies every night for the past two weeks…and my jeans aren’t happy).
13. Journal. Many people who achieve their weight loss goals and slim down for good chart their daily meals, exercise routines, and feelings. This keeps their motivation high.
Do you have any tips for achieving weight loss goals? Please comment below; I love to hear what works – and doesn’t work – for people!
Laurie's "She Blossoms" Books
Growing Forward When You Can't Go Back offers hope, encouragement, and strength for women walking through loss. My Blossom Tips are fresh and practical - they stem from my own experiences with a schizophrenic mother, foster homes, a devastating family estrangement, and infertility.
How to Let Go of Someone You Love: Powerful Secrets (and Practical Tips!) for Healing Your Heart is filled with comforting and healthy breakup advice. The Blossom Tips will help you loosen unhealthy attachments to the past, seal your heart with peace, and move forward with joy.
When You Miss Him Like Crazy: 25 Lessons to Move You From Broken to Blossoming After a Breakup will help you refocus your life, re-create yourself, and start living fully again! Your spirit will rise and you'll blossom into who you were created to be.
Amy Hendel is a health expert who trains and counsels patients with her own unique blend of nutrition, fitness and psychology. Visit her at HealthGal.com.