These teen weight loss tips start with a fat blasting dance mix, and end with weight loss wisdom from Dr Oz.
“Habit is habit and not to be flung out of the window by any man, but coaxed downstairs a step at a time,” said Mark Twain.
It’s not glamorous or exciting to lose weight. If you want to trim off the body fat – and keep it off permanently – you need to do the boring stuff like create good eating habits and stick to them. And, exercising – which can be fun! In fact, the best weight loss tip for teens is to plug in fitness DVDs like the 10 Minute Solution: Fat Blasting Dance Mix. Me, I like the yoga 10 minute solutions DVDs better, but to each her own.
Weight Loss Tips for Teens – From Fat Blasting to Dr Oz
Are you an overweight teenager – or do you just think you should be skinnier? Here’s a quick, easy way to tell: a Body Mass Index calculator. If you have a Body Mass Index of 25 or above, then you’re overweight. If it’s less than that, you’re normal – you don’t need to lose weight.
1. Figure out why you’re overweight. Determining the root of the problem can help you lose body fat. For instance, did you gain weight because of a terrible experience or sad situation? Have you always been overweight? If you’re a teenage girl, do your eating habits match your father or older brother’s? If you’re an emotional eater, you need to deal with your feelings.
To learn how to stop emotional eating, read 6 Ways to Stop Stress Eating Late at Night.
2. Let yourself get physically hungry. When I was an overweight teenager, I never experienced physical hunger. I was emotionally starving, which is why I ate and ate and ate. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I learned what it feels like to be physically hungry. Weight loss for both teenagers and adults is about learning the difference between physical and emotional hunger. I’m not saying starve yourself – but I do think it’s important to know when you’re physically hungry, and eat to satisfy that hunger. That’s how I achieved my weight loss goals!
Again – I’m NOT saying you should starve yourself – that’s not a good weight loss tip for a teenager. I’m just encouraging you to tune into your body.
3. Change the order in which you eat food. Instead of eating the French fries and burger first, fill up on a large salad with no salad dressing. Then, if you have room, go for a bit of the burger and fries. And, don’t eat the boring iceburg lettuce salads with cucumber! I put apple chunks, red and orange peppers, spinach, red onions, orange chunks, pumpkin seeds, and raisons on my salads. The idea is to eat more veggies and fruits, and eat less carbs, starches, and fat. You don’t want to eliminate fat entirely – it’s good for your brain, hair, and body cells – but you do want to stick to small portions of healthy fats.
4. Avoid weight loss supplements, diet pills, or dieting in general. Unless your doctor prescribes them, don’t take weight loss supplements or diet pills. I tried them when I was young, and they were a big waste of time and money. Plus, they can have unhealthy side effects. And it’s been shown that dieting doesn’t work for weight loss; instead, you need to develop long-term healthy eating habits.
5. Remember that food is 66% of weight loss for teens and adults. Exercise is important, but what and how much you eat is more important in terms of losing body fat. I exercise almost every day, which helps me stay slim…but I’ve also learning how to eat like a skinny person, from my husband. I wrote about how I lost weight in 8 Best Ways to Lose Weight.
Sign up for my free weekly "She Blossoms" newsletter
6. Be open to trying different ways to lose body fat. The majority of people who lose weight and keep it off have tried more than method of weight loss. For teens, this means trying different combinations of exercise, portion control, weight loss groups, exercise buddies, etc. You may find that a weight loss support group for teenagers works for you, or you might prefer working one-on-one with a nutritionist or doctor. You have to be open to trying one or two things for at least a month. If those things don’t work, then try something different.
The 10 Minute Solutions’ Hip Hop Dance Mix is perfect if you’re into hip hop.
Remember that different things work for different people. I love the 10 Minute Solutions Pilates Fitness DVDs. But, you may love swimming, learning hip hop or Zumba dance moves, or playing Wii fitness games. Your best friend may be on the track team or cheerleading squad…we all have different likes and dislikes, and we have to stop forcing ourselves to be someone we’re not!
For Dr Oz’s weight loss wisdom, read Dr Oz’s Weight Loss Tips – Best Times of the Day to Lose Weight.
What do you think of these tips for teen weight loss? Comments welcome below…
Laurie's "She Blossoms" Books
Growing Forward When You Can't Go Back offers hope, encouragement, and strength for women walking through loss. My Blossom Tips are fresh and practical - they stem from my own experiences with a schizophrenic mother, foster homes, a devastating family estrangement, and infertility.
How to Let Go of Someone You Love: Powerful Secrets (and Practical Tips!) for Healing Your Heart is filled with comforting and healthy breakup advice. The Blossom Tips will help you loosen unhealthy attachments to the past, seal your heart with peace, and move forward with joy.
When You Miss Him Like Crazy: 25 Lessons to Move You From Broken to Blossoming After a Breakup will help you refocus your life, re-create yourself, and start living fully again! Your spirit will rise and you'll blossom into who you were created to be.