Setting SMART goals is the first step to getting what you want out of life – and the second is staying focused on your goals! These quips and tips from smart women will give you the oooomph! you need to stay focused on achieving your goals.
Before the tips, a quip:
“I dwell in possibility,” said Emily Dickinson.
What are the possibilities for your life? Focusing on what’s possible – not what already exists – is one way to keep moving forward. If you only have a short time to achieve a big life goal, read Unstoppable Women: Achieve Any Breakthrough Goal in 30 Days.
And, check out these quips and tips from strong women, to keep you motivated and inspired…
How to Stay Focused on Your Goals – From Schedules to Prayer
Are you your own worst enemy? Read What is Self-Sabotage? How to Stop Sabotaging Yourself.
The Quip ~ “Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything wise in the world.” -Helen Keller.
- The Tip ~ Stop feeling sorry for yourself! If you focus on how hard your life is, or the obstacles in front of your goals, you’ll just spin your wheels. Instead of dwelling on the impossibilities, find ways to overcome the setbacks and the mistakes you’ve made.
The Quip ~ “A schedule defends from chaos and whim. It is a net for catching days.” – Annie Dillard.
- The Tip ~ What’s your action plan for achieving your goals? It’s much easier to stay focused and motivated when you have a schedule — and it doesn’t matter if you’re working towards relationship, fitness, or career goals. Whatever it is you want to achieve, make a list. A schedule. A plan for achieving your goals. Otherwise, your days will be lost to the ether…and so will your dreams.
The Quip ~ “I wouldn’t swap one wrinkle of my face for all the elixirs of youth,” said Helen Hayes. “All of these wrinkles represent a smile, a grimace of pain and disappointment…some part of being fully alive.”
- The Tip ~ Remember that you’re not too old, and it’s not too late! Worrying about how much time you have, how old you are, what you look like, or how much you weigh is a waste of time and energy. Obsessing about the things you can’t change (whether it’s about your body, your career, your life) will divert your focus from what matters (your intention for your life) to what doesn’t matter (your age, appearance, etc). If you want to achieve your goals, focus your time and energy for the things that really matter.
The Quip ~ “Men don’t make passes at crones with big as*es.” – Cybill Shepherd.
- The Tip ~ Stay physically healthy, strong, and fit! Okay, Shepherd’s quip isn’t exactly about being healthy — but it’s close! If you’re obese or unkempt, you may not have the energy or motivation to keep forging ahead. Shepherd is a smart woman, and she’s telling me to stay as healthy and attractive as possible.
The Quip ~ “After all, it is those who have a deep and real inner life who are best able to deal with the irritating details of outer life.” – Evelyn Underhill.
- The Tip ~ Cultivate your inner, spiritual self. What do you really think, really like, really feel? Stop avoiding your feelings or medicating yourself with food, shopping, cosmetic surgery, or new toys…face your feelings, develop a rich and real inner life. Being spiritually grounded will help you stay focused.
The Quip ~ “It is for us to pray not for tasks equal to our powers, but for powers equal to our tasks; to go forward with a great desire forever beating at the door of our hearts as we travel toward our distant goal.” – Helen Keller.
- The Tip ~ Pray as if everything depends on God, and work as if everything depends on you. Getting what you want out of life is a magical combination of luck, prayer, the Universe, hard work, and perseverance. Since you can’t rely on any one thing to achieve your goals, you need to pray hard and work hard! Follow your heart, work with your hands, and never ever give up.
For more tips on staying focused, read How to Turn Your Dreams Into Achievable Goals.
If you have any thoughts on staying focused on your goals, please comment below…