A romantic honeymoon getaway in Maui is the perfect way to end the wedding rush! These honeymoon tips revolve around a condo hotel – I’m staying at the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas as I write this, and think Maui could be one of the most romantic destinations in the world!
Before the tips, a quip:
“I do want an expensive honeymoon,” said Arnold Bennett, in The Honeymoon. “Not because I’m extravagant, but because a honeymoon is a solemn, important thing … a symbol. And it ought to be done – well, adequately.”
When you’re planning your honeymoon, go behind “adequate.” Go for awesome (which doesn’t have to be expensive)! Read The Ultimate Guide to the World’s Best Wedding & Honeymoon Destinations to learn about romantic destinations besides Hawaii.
And, here are ten ways to celebrate your new marriage in Maui…
Romantic Honeymoon Getaways in Maui – 10 Honeymoon Tips
1. Book a condo with a full kitchen. This may not seem like a romantic idea, but believe me, you’ll want to eat dinner or breakfast in your room after an intimate moment or two. Many of the condos in Kaanapali – such as the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas (where I’m staying right now!) have full kitchens, and , in fact – and right outside the hotel is the beach. If you stock the fridge and pantry when you first arrive, you’ll be set for breakfast or dinner in bed. For more travel tips, read 10 Tips for Booking Vacation Packages to Maui.
2. Splurge on a Maui Kaanapali condo with a view of the ocean. It can be a bit more pricey, but picture yourself sitting on your balcony, toasting your new marriage as you watch the sun set over the ocean. Imagine yourself waking up with coffee and Raisin Bran, listening to the waves hit those golden sandy shores. I’m not a shopper or a spender, but I believe in paying for great vacations. And, your honeymoon can be the best, most romantic getaway of your life!
3. Consider an all-inclusive resort vacation. If you stay at an all-inclusive, you won’t have to worry about food or cooking in your hotel room. An all-inclusive resort might even be more romantic than staying at a condo with a full kitchen in Maui, depending on your tastes and needs. If you are leaning towards an all-inclusive romantic honeymoon getaway, you might find Packing Tips for an All Inclusive Resort Vacation helpful.
4. Bring “a goody bag for romance.” When my husband and I travel together, he always packs a goody bag of candles, matches, massage oil, favorite DVDs, and other things we enjoy on our romantic nights together. Your honeymoon goody bag is a great way to get intimate on your honeymoon – and on future vacations.
5. Give a romantic honeymoon gift every morning. If you really want to make it a romantic honeymoon getaway, surprise him or her with a new present every day. Read Romantic Gift Ideas for tips. Doing this during his or her “birthday week” is also a wonderful way to say “I love you.”
6. Exercise for an hour a day together. This may not seem like a romantic idea for a honeymoon getaway, but it can connect you to your new spouse in a whole new way! I love doing fitness DVDs and working out with my husband because it’s fun, motivating, and sexy to sweat and get fit as a couple! There are many ways to exercise on your honeymoon in Maui, such as running on the beach, taking surfing lessons, snorkeling, or scuba diving.
Sign up for my free weekly "She Blossoms" newsletter
7. Listen to the whales – don’t just whale watch. I spent some time on the Kaanapali beach today, right outside our condo, and discovered that I could hear the whales when my head was under the water! That was amazing – and it would be such a romantic thing to experience with my hubby (who missed it). It’s also an inexpensive way to experience whales.
8. Stay as healthy as possible – and heed the “tan, don’t burn” quip! Even just a few hours on a Maui beach can burn you to a crisp, which will not make for a romantic honeymoon getaway. Make sure you use loads of sunblock, and tan only for short periods of time – especially if you’re pale or fair-skinned. If you want to get a head start on tanning, read about self-tanning options that don’t require the hot sun. Drink lots of water, don’t drink too much alcohol, get lots of sleep…keep your mind and body healthy.
9. Go to a luau, and take hula dancing lessons together. The Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt in Kaanapali offers a wonderful luau, and they invite the audience to try hula dancing on stage. It’s fun and of course you’ll feel goofy up there, but it’s one of those things you’ll never forget you did together. I think it’d be great to take hula dancing lessons even apart from the luau,
10. This is my favorite tip for a romantic honeymoon: talk about different ways to show your love. My husband and I didn’t do this on our honeymoon in St Maarten, but I wish we had. It would’ve been so romantic, and practical, too! Take a list of ways to say “I love you” with you, and talk about what works and what doesn’t work for you. For instance, you may find it romantic if your spouse slips a love note in with your lunch…but your spouse may not see it as a loving gesture. If you talk about the 80 ways to show your love in the link above, you’ll learn more about your new spouse…and there’s nothing more romantic than learning something new about the person you love.
Laurie's "She Blossoms" Books
Growing Forward When You Can't Go Back offers hope, encouragement, and strength for women walking through loss. My Blossom Tips are fresh and practical - they stem from my own experiences with a schizophrenic mother, foster homes, a devastating family estrangement, and infertility.
How to Let Go of Someone You Love: Powerful Secrets (and Practical Tips!) for Healing Your Heart is filled with comforting and healthy breakup advice. The Blossom Tips will help you loosen unhealthy attachments to the past, seal your heart with peace, and move forward with joy.
When You Miss Him Like Crazy: 25 Lessons to Move You From Broken to Blossoming After a Breakup will help you refocus your life, re-create yourself, and start living fully again! Your spirit will rise and you'll blossom into who you were created to be.
If you have any tips for romantic honeymoon getaways in Maui or elsewhere, please share below!