Knowing how to get motivated to exercise – and stay motivated to exercise! – is the first step to achieving your weight loss goals. Well – setting weight loss goals is the first step to achieving your weight loss goals – and that’s what these tips are all about.
Before the tips, a quip:
“I have gained and lost the same ten pounds so many times over and over again, my cellulite must have déjà vu.” ~ Jane Wagner.
Many dieters lose and gain weight repeatedly over the years, which is why dieting doesn’t work. If you haven’t tried a master cleanse, read Lose Weight, Have More Energy & Be Happier in 10 Days.
And, here are five ways to get and stay motivated to lose weight…
How to Get Motivated to Exercise – and Stay Motivated!
1. Create a weight loss plan. “Those moving aimlessly through life are unlikely to end up suddenly starting a new business or losing a significant amount of weight,” writes Richard Wiseman in 59 Seconds: Change Your Life in Under a Minute. “Successful participants broke their overall goal into a series of sub-goals and thereby created a step-by-step process that helped remove the fear and hesitation associated with trying to achieve a major life change. These plans were especially powerful when the sub-goals were concrete, measurable, and time-based.” To get and get and stay motivated to exercise, you need to set specific weight loss goals.
2. Tell your family, friends, and coworkers. You’ll be less likely to fall back on old, unhealthy eating habits if you go public with your plans to achieve your weight loss goals. Psychology research shows that the greater the public declaration, the more motivated people are to achieve their goals. Sharing your weight loss plan will help you get and stay motivated to exercise because they’ll support you when you falter – and can even make your exercise plans seem easier! Research from the University of Plymouth shows that when people are at the bottom of a hill with friends, they estimate that it’s easier to climb than if they’re alone.
3. Keep reminding yourself of the benefits of exercising and losing weight. “When looking at weight loss, successful participants might remark on how good they will look and feel when they drop a dress size, whereas unsuccessful participants might talk about how not losing weight will mean continued unhappiness about their appearance,” writes Wiseman in 59 Seconds. One of the best tips for increasing exercise motivation – and losing weight – is to look forward to a positive future!
4. Put your weight loss goals in writing. I can’t express the importance of putting your goals in writing! I’ve read over and over again how crucial it is to write your goals down, especially if you need to know how to get motivated to exercise. Putting your weight loss goals on paper solidifies them in your head, and increases the chances you’ll lose weight successfully. Make a list of each of your sub-goals. For instance, if you want to lose 50 pounds in total, create a weight loss plan that sets milestones every five pounds.
5. Reward yourself every time you achieve a sub-goal. “As part of their planning, successful participants ensured that each of their sub-goals had a reward attached to it,” writes Wiseman in 59 Seconds: Change Your Life in Under a Minute. “Often it was something small, and it never conflicted with the major goal itself (no going on a binge of chocolate bars to celebrate a week of healthy eating), but nevertheless it gave them something to look forward to and provided a sense of achievement.”
What do you think of these tips for how to get motivated to exercise and lose weight? I welcome your comments below!
Need encouragement? Get a beautiful FREE "She Blossoms" 2019 calendar when you sign up for my free weekly Blossom Tips!
If you haven’t tried yoga for weight loss, read Best Yoga DVDs, Plus 4 Tips for Choosing a Yoga DVD.
Or, read Dr Oz and Deepak Chopra’s weight loss secrets How to Meditate to Lose Weight – 7 Weight Loss Motivation Tips.
Share your thoughts below - you won't be judged or criticized! I read every comment, but can't always respond personally. If you need relationship help, get Mort Fertel's 7 Steps to Fixing Your Marriage - and FREE advice, no strings attached.
If you need relationship help, get Mort Fertel's 7 Steps to Fixing Your Marriage - and FREE advice, no strings attached.