Some online games to exercise your brain are better than others; these tips will help you find the right brain games to improve your memory and thinking skills….
“There is a lot of talk these days about using brain games to train your mind,” says brain fitness aficionado Alex Colket, creator of PlayWithYourMind.com. “Every month, another study touts the efficacy of brain training and further emphasizes the importance of brain fitness. With this research comes an ever-growing number of brain fitness programs; now, there are thousands of so-called ‘brain games’ available on the internet.”
But not all brain games are equal! Here are Colket’s tips for finding the right brain games and brain exercises.
How to Find the Right Brain Games and Brain Exercises
Is brain training as simple as choosing brain games, playing for a few hours, and then conquering the world with your new-found brilliance? Most likely, no. Rather, there are several important factors that you should consider before thinking about brain fitness tips. The games you choose and the way you play them can determine how much you benefit from your brain exercises.
Tips for Choosing the Right Brain Games
1. Find a good “brain exercise” website. Your best bet is to find a website dedicated to games for brain training and brain fitness, as opposed to just playing the ‘brain games’ on larger gaming sites. In most cases, the websites dedicated to brain exercise are designed more intelligently, and are better suited to challenge you in constructive ways. Look for evidence that the game designers know something neuroscience.
2. Do something different. It’s often more fun to play games that display your competence rather than expose your ineptitude, but just playing towards your strengths is not as beneficial as improving on your weaknesses. Brain games are a great tool to challenge yourself in ways that your everyday life does not – especially if you try new ways to improve your memory and thinking skills.
3. Find a brain exercise you enjoy. One condition for effective neuroplasticity (the process responsible for making changes in your brain) is attention. If you are playing something that is not engaging you and holding your attention, you’re far less likely to get something from it.
Brain Games to Improve Memory, Thinking, and Brain Health will help you find cognitive exercises you enjoy.
4. Make sure the brain game gets harder as you improve. Find a game that has adjustable difficulties or progressively gets harder as you improve your memory and thinking skills. It is important that the level of challenge increases proportionately to your skill level, so you’re not wasting your time playing a game that is too easy or too hard.
When You Play Brain Games…
1. Opt for regular short practice rather than prolonged sessions. You are going to get a lot more out of your work if you play a game for 15 minutes a day for a week than if you sit down and play it for two hours at once. Taking breaks and returning to the activity later helps facilitate the learning process, improves your memory, and makes certain your mind stays sharp and attentive throughout the process.
Sign up for my free weekly "She Blossoms" newsletter
2. When possible, combine brain exercise with physical exercise. Schedule your brain training sessions after physical exercise, so your brain has plenty of blood and energy. You’ll glean more from the brain games when your mind is alert and ready to learn.
3. Find ways to stay motivated. If there is a storyline or reward system for measuring your progress, get involved in it. The more motivated you are to learn and make changes, the easier it’ll be to improve your memory and thinking skills. It’s definitely OK to have fun with your brain exercise!
Don’t forget that the foods you eat have a direct effect on your brain. Read What Are the Best Brain Vitamins? 10 Brain Improvement Tips.
If you have any thoughts on Colket’s brain games and brain exercises, please comment below…Colket also contributed How to Improve Your Memory and Concentration, here on Quips & Tips for Achieving Your Goals.
Laurie's "She Blossoms" Books
Growing Forward When You Can't Go Back offers hope, encouragement, and strength for women walking through loss. My Blossom Tips are fresh and practical - they stem from my own experiences with a schizophrenic mother, foster homes, a devastating family estrangement, and infertility.
How to Let Go of Someone You Love: Powerful Secrets (and Practical Tips!) for Healing Your Heart is filled with comforting and healthy breakup advice. The Blossom Tips will help you loosen unhealthy attachments to the past, seal your heart with peace, and move forward with joy.
When You Miss Him Like Crazy: 25 Lessons to Move You From Broken to Blossoming After a Breakup will help you refocus your life, re-create yourself, and start living fully again! Your spirit will rise and you'll blossom into who you were created to be.
Alex Colket is an amateur neuroscientist, professional game developer, and brain fitness junkie. Visit Play With Your Mind to check out his 100+ brain fitness games, or track him on twitter to follow his musings on neuroplasticity, sustainability and cognitive health.