Hard work will help you achieve your life goals, and a little luck can’t hurt! These ways to be luckier at work and in your love life will help you learn how to be lucky… because good luck is a skill that can be developed.
Before the tips, a quip:
“Luck? I don’t know anything about luck. I’ve never banked on it, and I’m afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work — and realizing what is opportunity and what isn’t.” ~ Lucille Ball.
This red-haired fireball worked hard to achieve her success, but I suspect she enjoyed a stroke of good luck. Most successful people get a break now and then — but, there’s there’s no denying that achieving your goals requires more than luck, fate, or good timing!
To learn more about lucky people, read The Luck Factor: The Four Essential Principles.
And, here are ten tips for being luckier in everything you do…
10 Ways to Get Luckier in Life and Love
1. Apply “Scout principles” to your life. Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts have a motto: “Be Prepared.” The more prepared you are for as many eventualities as possible, the luckier you’ll be. At work, the luckiest employees — perhaps the ones who get promotions and raises the most often — are those who prepare for business meetings, client luncheons, and projects. The luckiest couples in love are those who actually work on their relationships or marriages. There’s a direct correlation between how prepared you are and how lucky you will be.
2. Take control of what you can. The more you focus on what you can control, the more empowered you’ll feel. The least empowering thing you can do is think or say, “There’s nothing I can do.” While it’s true that you can’t change a crummy health diagnosis or a bad work situation — you can change how you deal with your problems. When you feel powerless and unlucky, look for ways to take action. To improve your luck, form a support network. Find people who believe in you, create ways to help others so you can help yourself, and focus on the things that make you feel good about yourself.
3. Let go of your expectations. Don’t tie yourself down to a particular outcome: a perfect love relationship, the best job in your organization, or an ideal health diagnosis from the doctor. To be luckier in life and love, be open to all possible outcomes. Remember that sometimes even the results or situations we dread can turn out to be better than the ones you originally wanted! Look for the lucky bits in everything that happens to you.
4. Take healthy risks in love and life. The more healthy, calculated risks you take, the more you’ll learn how to be lucky. To achieve your love relationship goals, go on blind dates – but only with men that friends and family set you up with. To achieve your career goals, apply to universities and colleges that you actually have a chance of getting into (I applied to several graduate schools, but was “unlucky” because I didn’t stand a chance of meeting their admission requirements!). Take risks that stretch and challenge you to grow.
5. Diversify your life. Diversifying your portfolio isn’t just a good investment tip — it can actually improve your luck in other ways. Diversifying in life means exploring many different paths to one destination. For instance, if I want to be a successful freelance writer, I need to cultivate relationships with editors and publishers. If I want to buy the home of my dreams, I need to start saving my money and figuring out what I want in a house. To get luckier in life and love, we need to explore all the possible different path to a single destination.
Sign up for my free weekly "She Blossoms" newsletter
6. Get organized — declutter your desk and drawers. One of my favorite TV shows is The People’s Court with Judge Marilyn Milian. The “lucky” litigants in her courtroom — the ones who win — have all their documents ready and organized. They get all their agreements in writing, and keep all their receipts. Getting organized and reducing clutter is a practical, effective way to improve your luck and achieve your goals.
7. Listen to your gut instincts. A great way to learn how to trust yourself (which will help you be luckier) is to tune in to your instincts. Do you feel compelled to talk to a particular person at a party or business lunch? Follow your hunch and reach out! Your mind, emotions, and body picks up on signals in your environment; if you want to learn how to be lucky, you need to listen to your gut.
8. Act on opportunities. Keep your eyes open for possible open doors — such as a particular colleague sitting beside you at a business meeting. Take that opportunity and explore it! Or, if you hear that a company is hiring, pick up the phone to find out more. The more you follow up on opportunities as they present themselves, the luckier you’ll be.
9. Imagine how things could be worse. When life takes a downward turn or you have bad luck, you can improve your situation by visualizing how events could be worse. Picturing the worse case scenario (and how lucky you really are) will increase your feelings of gratitude, which will keep you cheerful and optimistic. Those cheerful, optimistic feelings will help you get what you want out of life.
10. Know how self-fulfilling prophecies work. In psychology, a “self-fulfilling prophecy” is “a false definition of situation evoking a new behavior which makes the original false conception come true.” In other words, what you believe will come true because you will subconsciously and consciously act in ways that cause the event to happen. Self-fulfilling prophecies are very powerful and real. Let go of those false, negative beliefs. Remember that you can learn how to be lucky — you can achieve your life and love goals — if you keep believing the right things.
For more tips on getting luckier, read 9 Steps to Achieving Your Dreams and Moving Forward in Life.
Laurie's "She Blossoms" Books
Growing Forward When You Can't Go Back offers hope, encouragement, and strength for women walking through loss. My Blossom Tips are fresh and practical - they stem from my own experiences with a schizophrenic mother, foster homes, a devastating family estrangement, and infertility.
How to Let Go of Someone You Love: Powerful Secrets (and Practical Tips!) for Healing Your Heart is filled with comforting and healthy breakup advice. The Blossom Tips will help you loosen unhealthy attachments to the past, seal your heart with peace, and move forward with joy.
When You Miss Him Like Crazy: 25 Lessons to Move You From Broken to Blossoming After a Breakup will help you refocus your life, re-create yourself, and start living fully again! Your spirit will rise and you'll blossom into who you were created to be.
What do you think about these suggestions for getting luckier in life and love? I welcome your thoughts below…