These Halloween costumes for dogs and cats include pet safety tips, so you can take care of your pet while dressing them up for Halloween!
Instead of hiding my black cat every October 31, maybe I should have dressed her in a Halloween costume. She may have liked a red devil costume better than being locked in the bedroom for the evening.
But, better safe than sorry…
“Owners of black cats should take extra precautions by confining the feline to the house several days before Halloween,” say the experts at Broward County Animal Care and Regulation. “This will reduce the chances of someone abducting your black cat. Even kids who mean no harm may yell at or chase a black cat.”
If your dog or cat doesn’t mind wearing clothes, an animal costume can be not only fun — it can also be a good way to keep him safe. The Hot Diggity Dog Halloween Costume is great for daschunds (and other dogs).
Here are several Halloween costume ideas for pets…
Halloween Costumes for Dogs and Cats
Each of these pet Halloween costumes include tips for taking care of your dogs and cats on Halloween. Watch over them — especially if you have a black cat, like I did!
Pirate Dog Halloween Costume – if you’re going as Pirate Elizabeth Swann, William Turner, or Captain Jack Sparrow, you might like to dress your dog up in pirate’s gear! The best thing about this costume is its hat, which may not stay on very well.
- Pet Safety Tip: “Keep pets away from lighted jack-o-lanterns,” say the animal experts. “Curious kittens especially run the risk of getting burned.”
Bumblebee Pet Costume – The dogs in the bumblebee costumes look much happier than the cats in the red devil costumes! These dogs are wearing black and yellow striped vests, and they sport bee antennae on their heads.
- Pet Safety Tip: “Costumes should not have small, dangling or easily chewed-off pieces that your pet can choke on,” say the pet experts.
Police Dog Halloween Costume – This is a way cool costume for dogs – and now your dog doesn’t even have to be a German Shepherd or a Bloodhound to be a police dog! So there will be none of that feeling inferior to those working dogs in positions of authority. This police dog costume comes with a police hat, blue police vest, and black belt. Handcuffs included!
- Pet Safety Tip for Halloween: “Pets are safest inside the home when trick-or-treaters come calling,” say the pet experts.
Hot Dog Halloween Costume – this is one of the best dog costumes I’ve ever seen! The dog wears the hot dog buns on either side of its body, with a healthy squiggle of ketchup running down its back. Fun, and you don’t have to worry about hats or any head gear at all.
- Pet Safety Tip: “Don’t share any candy with pets, especially chocolate. Candy is toxic for animals and can cause vomiting, restlessness, heart disturbances and even death. If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate or other candy that causes discomfort, consult your veterinarian immediately.
The Evil One Cat Halloween Costume – This cat costumes comes with a set of red devil ears and a bright red devil cape. The cat wearing the costume in this picture (follow the link for the photo) doesn’t look thrilled…but since when do cats look happy about anything, much less new clothes? (I’m just kidding; my cat often looks very happy).
- Pet Safety Tip: “If you dress your pet in a costume, make sure its vision is not obstructed,” say the Broward County animal experts. “The costume should not constrict the animal’s movement, hearing or ability to breathe or bark.”
Skunk Halloween Costume for Dogs – If your dog gets cold easily, this skunk costume for dogs is perfect – it’s like a fur coat! A white stripe goes down the back of the black “fur” coat, and the costume goes all the way up to the dog’s head. Very cute (not tough like the police dog costume).
Pet Safety Tip: “Keep pets away from the front door and in a separate room,” say the Broward County animal experts. “Pets, especially dogs, are easily excitable or threatened by strangers.”
Batman Pet Costume – a superhero Halloween costume to boost your dog’s self-confidence! This costume comes with a Batman cape, Batman shirt, and Batman hat with bat ears.
- Pet Safety Tip: “Make sure your cat or dog wears a current tag on its collar,” say the animal experts. “If your pet is lost, it is 10 times more likely to be returned to you if it has a license tag.”
More Halloween costume ideas for dogs and cats
If you have any ideas or tips for Halloween costumes for dogs and cats, please share below…