Yes, you can lose belly fat! These tips for losing stomach fat are from dietician Marsha Hudnall, the Director of Green Mountain at Fox Run, Vermont – a healthy weight loss retreat.
Before her tips, a quip:
“Make your life good,” says actress Gwyneth Paltrow. “Invest in what’s real. Cook a meal for someone you love. Pause before reacting. Read something beautiful. Treat yourself to something. Go to a city you’ve never been to. Learn something new. Don’t be lazy. Work out and stick with it. Make it great!”
A balanced life includes having the discipline to stick to a eating healthy plan…but also to enjoy your life! To learn more about healthy eating, read Health At Every Size – a book that suggests fat isn’t the problem. Dieting is.
Here are Marsha’s tips for losing stomach fat…
A Dietician’s 5 Tips for Losing Stomach Fat
1. Weight loss diets don’t work because the focus on losing weight backfires for most people. Diets teach people how to diet to lose weight, not how to eat for long-term health and a healthy body shape and size. Losing stomach fat should include learning how to eat for long term health benefits — not just to lose weight in the short term. The best way to lose stomach fat is to focus on your overall health.
If you tend to overeat at night, read the best ways to stop eating at night.
2. Weight loss diets turn people into restrained eaters who manage their eating well when things are going well. But when difficulties arise, their eating falls apart. That’s because they learn to rely on self-control for eating and no longer use their internal cues to guide their hunger. Dieters begin to ignore and/or distrust their internal cues, which sets up lifelong struggles with eating. This frequently leads to developing the habit of emotionally overeating, which won’t help you lose stomach fat. Studies show restrained eaters tend to overeat in response to difficult situations or emotions such as depression, anxiety and anger.
3. The best way to lose stomach fat is to focus on mindful eating, which means eating mainly to address physical hunger, being thoughtful about food choices (considering sensual and nourishing aspects of food) and paying attention while eating to fully appreciate food and identify when you are comfortably full.
4. The Mediterranean Diet prescribes a healthy and tasty way of eating that people can adopt without feelings of restriction or deprivation, which means they are much more likely to be able to continue it over the long term – which will help them lose stomach fat.
Though this dietician believes most diets don’t work, she also says, “The Mediterranean Diet Plan is one of the most effective diets out there today. Why? It’s not a weight loss diet.”
Want to Blossom?
5. The Mediterranean Diet also provides the good nutrition that’s important to support a healthy lifestyle. The solution to healthy weights is eating well (Mediterranean diet-style, if desired) as part of a healthy lifestyle that includes regular physical activity and stress management, in particular to help control emotional overeating.
The Mediterranean Diet educates Americans on how to eat well. We have in a sense lost our way with healthful eating in the face of busy lifestyles that don’t make a priority of feeding ourselves well. This has been complicated by weight loss diet rules that confuse people about what healthy eating really is. To lose body fat for good, learn as much as you can about nutrition and healthy eating.
If you have any questions on these tips for losing stomach fat, please comment below!
Green Mountain at Fox Run is a healthy weight loss retreat for women, and teaches how to eat instead of starving, moving bodies for pleasure and physical well-being, and managing stress and negative self-image for health and healthy weight loss.
Need marriage help? Get free relationship advice from Marriage Coach Mort Fertel.
Want to Blossom into who God created you to be? Sign up for my free weekly "Blossom Tips" email!