According to my Twitter and Facebook polls, and my search for the bestselling Christmas movies on Amazon, these are the 10 best Christmas movies of all time.
The most popular Christmas DVD on Amazon is The Original Christmas Classics family movie collection. It includes seven original Christmas movies for kids: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town, Frosty the Snowman, Frosty Returns, Mr. Magoo’s Christmas Carol – Bah Humbug, Mr. Magoo!, The Little Drummer Boy, and Cricket on the Hearth.
Disney’s A Christmas Carol starring Jim Carrey is the second most popular Christmas DVD on Amazon, but it’s not as “young kid-oriented” as the Original Christmas Classics.
And, here are more of the best Christmas movies to watch over the holiday season…
10 Best Holiday DVDs to Watch at Christmas
1. A Christmas Carol – From Walt Disney Pictures comes the magical retelling of Charles Dickens’ beloved tale – Disney’s A Christmas Carol, the high-flying, heartwarming movie for the whole family, starring Jim Carrey. This is one of the best family movies for the holidays. When three ghosts take penny-pinching Scrooge on an eye-opening journey, he discovers the true meaning of Christmas — but he must act on it before it’s too late.
Click Disney’s A Christmas Carol to learn more.
2. The Family Stone – My Twitter and Facebook friends love this Christmas DVD! Everett (Dermot Mulroney) brings his fiancé Meredith (Sarah Jessica Parker) home to meet his family for Christmas. It’s an instant disaster when parents Sybil (Diane Keaton) and Kelly (Craig T. Nelson) agree with their sons and daughters that Meredith is too uptight to be welcomed into their family. Meredith recruits her sister Julie (Claire Danes) to help her thaw the Stone family cold front.
To learn more about this Christmas movie, visit The Family Stone.
3. A Christmas Story – A Christmas Story is a charming, touching, and very funny adaptation of humorist Jean Shepherd’s Yuletide novel, In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash. This classic Christmas DVD looks back at the compulsive efforts of 7-year-old Ralphie (Peter Billingsley) as he tries every means possible to acquire his dream Christmas gift.
For more info, visit A Christmas Story.
Want to Blossom?
4. Elf – A smartly written, skillfully directed, and deftly acted story of a human being adopted by Christmas elves who returns to the human world to find his father. Will Ferrell, as Buddy the adopted elf, is hysterically sincere. James Caan, as his rediscovered father, executes his surly dumbfoundedness with perfect aplomb.
For more info about this Christmas movie, visit Elf.
5. White Christmas – This Christmas DVD features Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, an all-Irving Berlin song score, classy direction by Hollywood vet Michael Curtiz (Casablanca, The Adventures of Robin Hood), VistaVision (the very first feature ever shot in that widescreen format), and ultrafestive Technicolor! Crosby and Kaye are song-and-dance men who hook up, romantically and professionally, with a “sister” act (Clooney and Vera-Ellen) to put on a Big Show to benefit the struggling ski-resort lodge run by the beloved old retired general (Dean Jagger) of their WWII Army outfit.
For more info, visit White Christmas (Anniversary Edition).
6. It’s a Wonderful Life – What list of the best holiday DVDs to watch at Christmas would be complete without George Bailey? He has so many problems, he’s thinking about ending it all at Christmas. As the angels discuss George, we see his life in flashback. As George is about to jump from a bridge, he ends up rescuing his guardian angel, Clarence. Clarence then shows George what his town would have looked like if it hadn’t been for all of his good deeds over the years. One of the best Christmas DVDs of all time.
For more info about this movie (which I think is the best Christmas movie of all time), visit It’s a Wonderful Life.
7. The Christmas Shoes – This DVD bounces between two families — the Layton household, where father Robert (Rob Lowe) is so consumed with his work that he misses his daughter’s recital; and the Andrews home, where mother Maggie has been diagnosed with a fatal heart ailment. Desperate to make his mother’s last moments happy, Maggie’s son Nathan struggles to buy a pair of red dancing shoes that seem like a pair Maggie remembers from her childhood.
For more info, visit The Christmas Shoes.
8. Muppet Christmas Carol – Join Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, and all the hilarious Muppets in this merry, magical version of Charles Dickens’ classic tale. One fateful Christmas Eve, Scrooge is visited by the Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present, and Future. Together with kind, humble Bob Cratchit (Kermit the Frog) and his family, the Spirits open Scrooge’s eyes — and his heart — to the true meaning of Christmas.
For more info on this Christmas DVD, visit The Muppet Christmas Carol – Kermit’s 50th Anniversary Edition.
9. Santa Claus – the Movie – The delightful story of a master toymaker who discovers a magical kingdom of elves at the North Pole. There he is entrusted with wondrous, special powers – to become the world’s most beloved patron of Christmas…Santa Claus! There he meets Patch (Dudley Moore), and eager-to-please elf who becomes mixed up with a dastardly toy tycoon’s (John Lithgow) plans to take over Christmas. And so begins Santa’s greatest adventure of all – to rescue his faithful elf and to save Christmas for all the children of the world.
Visit Santa Claus the Movie to see reviews, etc about this Christmas movie.
10. Scrooged – This is one of my favorite Christmas DVDs – I like it better than It’s a Wonderful Life for different reasons. Bill Murray stars in this spin off a Charles Dickens classic – he’s the world’s meanest TV executive, who has his cathartic moment one cold Christmas night in New York City. The various ghosts lead him on a ghost-town tour of Manhattan, with stops at holidays past, present, and future.
For more info about this popular Christmas movie, visit Scrooged.
For more holiday DVD ideas, read Popular Christmas Movies – Holiday Romances and Comedies.
Need marriage help? Get free relationship advice from Marriage Coach Mort Fertel.
Want to Blossom into who God created you to be? Sign up for my free weekly "Blossom Tips" email!