My name is Laurie Pawlik-Kienlen; I’m the Adventurous Writer who created the “She Blossoms” blog and book series. I write full-time from my treehouse overlooking the waters of Indian Arm in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
I’m glad you’re here! And I’d love to meet you. The best way to contact me is to sign up for my free weekly Blossom Tips email.
When you get my email address, you can send me a little note if you like…or just enjoy my splashes of joy and encouragement.
My purpose is to help women let go of past losses and pain, and blossom into who God created them to be. I write books and articles that are filled with Christian inspiration and practical tips. I help people move through grief in practical, sustainable ways.
I’ve experienced many losses and tragedies in my life — like you have. It hasn’t been easy, has it? But our stories aren’t over.
A Glimpse Into My Garden
- My mom struggled with schizophrenia and nervous breakdowns my whole life; I lived in three foster homes and was living on my own at 17 years old. My mom lives in a group home on an acreage near Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
- My dad is Jewish, born and raised in Jerusalem, Israel – where he still lives. I didn’t meet him until I went to Israel when I was 29 years old.
- I lived in Kenya, East Africa for three years. I taught Grade 8 Language Arts and High School Journalism at Rosslyn Academy, an American school for missionaries’ and ex-pat kids in Nairobi.
- My undergraduate degrees are in Education and Psychology from the University of Alberta, in Edmonton. My Master of Social Work (MSW) is from the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, Canada.
- I started volunteering with the Big Sisters/Big Brothers organization in 2012; my “Little” Sister was 11 when we were matched. We still meet twice a month; when she graduates from high school I hope to visit her in Quebec — her dream is to attend university in Montreal! I was a Little Sister myself when I was 10 years old, in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. I’m still in touch with my Big Sister today; she lives in Toronto, Ontario.
- As a freelance writer, I’ve written for a wide range of magazines such as Reader’s Digest, Woman’s Day, MSN Health, Natural Health, Spirituality & Health, and sometimes More.
- I didn’t get married until I was 35. I married Bruce, who I met when I was 18 and he was 21. He was a bartender at Chi Chi’s Mexican Restaurant, and I was a waitress. We were friends for a long, long time before I finally proposed. 🙂
- We struggled with infertility and can’t have children because of azoospermia. We chose not to get in vitro fertilization (IVF), though we did try intrauterine insemination (IUI). Those fertility treatments didn’t work; we decided not to adopt or foster kids.
- I’ve written several “She Blossoms” books and ebooks, and have been earning a full-time living as a blogger and writer since 2008. My first traditionally published book is Growing Forward When You Can’t Go Back.
After I turned 40, I got my Master of Social Work (MSW), taught myself to play the flute, and started painting with oils and acrylics (a dream come true for me). I also went on my first mission trip to Haiti.
I’m represented by literary agent Janet Kobobel-Grant, founder of Books & Such Literary Management.
My “She Blossoms” Blogs
I write articles to help women walk through loss. Letting go of the past and moving into a new season is a process that takes time, energy, hope, courage and faith. But it’s worth it, because it’s how we blossom.
My two most popular blogs are:
- How Love Blossoms – articles about marriage, relationships, and healing from breakups, divorce, and other losses in love.
- Blossom Tips – articles about life, work, family, career, and spirituality.
Originally called Quips and Tips for Love and Relationships, She Blossoms – Relationships contains my first love and relationship articles. That blog grew too big — a victim of its own success — and I had to create a new garden.
Once called Quips and Tips for Achieving Your Goals, She Blossoms – Goals has all my first articles about goals, life, family, and work.
Originally Quips and Tips for Successful Writers, She Blossoms – Writing is the first blog I started, back in 2008! My goal was to share my writing journey and help my fellow scribes get published.
And finally, I started Quips and Tips for Couples Coping With Infertility when my husband and I discovered we can’t have kids. She Blossoms – Health contains my articles about trying to get pregnant and deal with childlessness.
Your thoughts are welcome on any of my blogs – I’d love to hear from you! Feel free to introduce yourself in the comments section below, or on any article in my She Blossoms garden.
Don’t forget to sign up for my free weekly Blossom Tips. You’ll get my email address, and we won’t lose touch.