Don’t let vacation weight gain make you feel like a beached whale! I’m on holidays in Maui; and I’ve found several ways to lose weight on this beach vacation. These tips will help you maintain previous weight loss and break out of your plateau – because the last Hawaiian souvenir you need is extra pounds.
“The five principles of aloha, when practiced together, awaken our awareness of our human potential and the sacredness of our life.” ~ Paul Pearsall.
The word “aloha” is like “shalom” or “namaste.” It means love, peace, wholeness, and connection – and it’s a great way to greet your body in the morning! The more love you feel for your body, the more weight you’ll lose for good. For more weight loss tips, click Shrink Yourself: Break Free from Emotional Eating Forever. And, read on for my seven ways to lose weight on vacation in Maui…
5 Exercise Tips for Tropical Beach Holidays
1. Set up a daily time to work out. My beach vacation includes three other people who want to exercise daily, which makes it much easier for me to stick to my weight loss goals! We work out at 7:30 every day, rain or shine, together or apart. We alternate between a Yoga Weight Loss DVD in my room, a jog on the beach, or 45 minutes in the fitness center.
2. Exercise your body daily in different ways. Our hotel — the Aston Maui Kaanapali Villas — has a fitness room. However, you won’t find me there because those exercise machines don’t offer me anything different. I prefer to run along the beach outside my hotel room, while my travel companions prefer the fitness center. Jogging on soft sand is a great way to exercise your body in a way it’s not used to, and will help you break out of a weight loss plateau.
3. Walk – don’t drive – to the luau. We loved the “Drums of the Pacific” luau at the Hyatt, but we didn’t realize until a few days later that it’s only about a one hour walk on the Beachwalk from the Kaanapali Villas! I would’ve loved to have walked to the luau and back – and that’s one of the best ways to lose weight on a beach vacation. Walk, walk, walk as much as possible…stay away from the cars, buses, and trolleys if you can.
4. Do the physical activities that Maui is famous for. To lose weight on a beach vacation anywhere in the world, take surfing lessons, go scuba diving or snorkeling, or try windsurfing. Challenge your body to move in different ways and at different speeds than you’re used to.
5. Take your workout DVDs on vacation. All the rooms at the Kaanapali Villas have DVD players and big TVs, so you can do your home-based workouts before heading out to the beach. I’m kicking myself for only bringing one Yoga DVD – I wish I would’ve brought my 10 Minute Solutions Exercise Videos. My plan was to take a break from my usual exercises and go swimming and running on the beach, but I really wish I would’ve brought my Pilates videos.
3 Food Tips for Vacations on the Beach
1. Eat out as little as possible. When you’re booking a vacation in Maui (read 10 Tips for Booking Vacation Packages to Maui), make sure your room has a full kitchen. Fill the fridge with fresh fruit, veggies, and other healthy foods – and eat as many meals at “home” as possible. Restaurant meals are not only packed with calories, they’re more expensive.
2. If you eat in restaurants, try local cuisine. Let’s face it: eating out is part of a fun beach vacation! Avoid the fast food restaurants (which are all over Maui), and avoid food that’s known to be high fat (most Mexican meals, for instance). To prevent weight gain, look for local restaurants that feature Maui cuisine.
3. Avoid eating big evening meals. My husband can eat a huge meal at night and wake up hungry because his metabolism is faster than a speeding bullet. But, most people who eat a lot at night don’t burn the calories, and wake up feeling lethargic and heavy. Whether you’re on vacation or not, eat a big breakfast, a medium-sized lunch, and a light dinner. Don’t eat after 6 or 7 pm.
Sign up for my free weekly "She Blossoms" newsletter
To avoid weight gain on a tropical holiday, visualize yourself looking curvy and fit on the beach – and remember that nothing tastes as good as feeling slim feels!
If you have any tips for losing weight on a beach vacation, please share below…
Do you need encouragement and inspiration? Click here for my free Blossom Tips newsletter! One email a week, short and sweet.