I lost weight after I got married – most (and husbands) wives gain weight. These best ways to lose weight are from my skinny husband…
I struggled to lose weight for decades. Literally. When I got married, I lost 20 pounds. I learned these healthy eating tips are from watching my skinny husband eat and live — he never struggled with weight problems. It’s not just genetic; his healthy eating habits work.
Research shows that both men and women tend to gain weight right after marriage. Whether people are living together, married or not, they tend to share behaviors and activity patterns. Couples may cook bigger meals or eat out more often than they did when they were single, and may watch TV together instead of going to the gym or playing a sport.
But, marriage weight gain isn’t inevitable! To learn how your ancestors stayed trim, read The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet – it’s the most popular book for weight loss on Amazon right now.
And, here are eight weight loss tips…
Best Ways to Lose Weight – 8 Lessons From My Skinny Husband
My hubby doesn’t exercise, but I do — and it helped me tighten, tone, firm, and of course lose inches all over. I work out with the 10 Minute Solutions DVDs almost daily – read 6 Tips for Working Out With Pilates Fitness DVDs for more info.
1. Surround yourself with fit people. If I was married to a man with bad eating habits, then I’d probably be 20 pounds (or more) heavier, not 20 pounds lighter. One of the best ways to lose weight is to spend time with fit, healthy, active people who have healthy eating habits. But this doesn’t mean you have to divorce your hubby!
2. Live the healthy eating tips to lose weight – don’t just read them. For me, the second best way to lose weight was to be surrounded by my skinny husband’s healthy eating habits every day for a couple of years. Honestly, it took that long to break free of my bad food habits. To lose weight, you really need to make these tips part of your daily life…not just something you know.
I didn’t need a diet to lose weight – I need to figure out why I overate. If you’re the same way, read When You Never Feel Full and Can’t Stop Eating – 4 Non-Diet Tips.
3. Pause for 5 seconds before you eat anything. When I ask, “Should we have some chocolate?”, my hubby pauses. He thinks for at least five seconds. He checks in with his stomach. He checks with his head. I don’t know what he’s thinking about exactly, but he doesn’t just say “okay!” To lose weight, think before you eat.
4. Don’t go on a diet to lose weight – unless it’s something like the Mediterranean Diet. The Mediterranean Diet isn’t a traditional diet, it’s a healthy eating plan. I don’t know if you’ve heard that diets are not the best way to lose weight…and it’s true. Diets don’t work. They may appear to be effective work for celebrities like Valerie Bertinelli on Jenny Craig, but there are other factors involved there (everyone’s monitoring her weight loss which increases motivation, for example, and she gets paid for being on the diet).
Sign up for my free weekly "She Blossoms" newsletter
5. Connect with your tummy. One of the main reasons I was overweight was because I never checked in with my body, I never let myself get physically hungry, and I didn’t eat to satisfy my physical hunger. I ate because I loved the taste of fat, salt, sugar, and carbohydrates! My hubby’s healthy eating tips do not rule out eating fat, sugar, salt, and carbs – but those treats are definitely in moderation.
If you’re in tune with your tummy but you hate to exercise, read How to Lose Weight When You Hate Sweating or Can’t Exercise.
6. Separate food from your emotions to lose weight. My hubby doesn’t eat because he’s bored, sad, lonely, or nervous. He eats because he’s physically hungry. This is one of the best ways to lose weight because it separates calories from emotions or other factors that drive us to eat.
7. Stop eating before you’re stuffed. He said this every night at dinner for a couple of years before I caught on that it’s a great way to lose weight: “I’m satisfied.” He doesn’t eat until he can’t move or can’t eat another bite (except at his mom’s at Christmas). He puts small to medium sized portions on his plate (I used to eat more than he did every night!), and he stops when those portions are eaten.
To teach yourself how to do this, read Satiety Tips – How to Feel Full Without Overeating.
8. Fill up on fruit and veggies, and forget the meat. Okay, this is not my hubby’s healthy eating tip – it’s all mine. I’ve more or less stopped eating meat because it takes forever to digest. Instead, I fill up on fruit and veggies. Even better, I’ve developed a craving for fruit and veggies! Now when I eat a burger or chicken drumstick, all I can taste is meat fat and it grosses me out.
For more weight loss tips, read What is More Important When You Want to Lose Weight – Exercise or Diet?
Laurie's "She Blossoms" Books
Growing Forward When You Can't Go Back offers hope, encouragement, and strength for women walking through loss. My Blossom Tips are fresh and practical - they stem from my own experiences with a schizophrenic mother, foster homes, a devastating family estrangement, and infertility.
How to Let Go of Someone You Love: Powerful Secrets (and Practical Tips!) for Healing Your Heart is filled with comforting and healthy breakup advice. The Blossom Tips will help you loosen unhealthy attachments to the past, seal your heart with peace, and move forward with joy.
When You Miss Him Like Crazy: 25 Lessons to Move You From Broken to Blossoming After a Breakup will help you refocus your life, re-create yourself, and start living fully again! Your spirit will rise and you'll blossom into who you were created to be.
What do you think of my “best ways to lose weight”? I welcome your thoughts below!