First, a quip about living a balanced life from the author of All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten:
“Live a balanced life – learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some,” says Robert Fulghum.
Creating balance requires deliberately choosing certain activities (like singing!), and turning away from others (worrying, stressing, fearing, hating). Here, Gini Grey shares five ways to balance your life. For more info on creating a balance life, click on Grey’s book From Chaos to Calm: How to Shift Unhealthy Stress Patterns and Create Your Ideal Balance in Life. And, read on for her tips on creating balance…
5 Ways to Balance Your Life
Does your life feel like it’s moving at warp speed with more activities to choose from than you can fit in, increasing pressures and demands for your time, and endless to-do lists? If you’re left feeling frazzled and overwhelmed at the end of your week instead of energized and fulfilled, try implementing these five ways to create more balance in your life.
1. Set your intention. In achieving any goal, it’s important to have a destination in mind so take some time to reflect on what a balanced life would be like for you. Use all of your senses to imagine going through your day, week and month at an ideal pace and flow for you. Then set your intention each day to have this ideal balance in your life and watch it materialize.
2. Honour your values. What do you value at this time in your life – adventure, creativity, spirituality, being of service, connecting with others, or another meaningful activity? Honouring key values can shift a person from feeling depleted and resentful into happy and balanced in no time, so choose one or more of your values to experience this week.
3. Meet your needs. Each person has their own set of needs that, if not met, will wreak havoc in their lives. Identify your core needs such as having peace and quiet, a de-cluttered desk, open honest communication, or anything that needs to be in place for you to enjoy your daily activities, and find a way to meet these on a daily basis.
4. Shift stress reactions. Reacting to stressful situations instead of responding to them will knock you off balance every time. Notice if you react to stress by panicking, judging, criticizing, becoming an ostrich, dramatizing, feeling like a victim or any other overreactions, and then choose to respond differently. How would you like to handle stressful situations? Practice your new responses until they become habits. And, try these unusual ways to relax.
5. Create healthy boundaries. It’s your life so you get to choose who and what you spend your time with. Before you decide on an activity, ask yourself if it will move you closer to or further away from having your ideal balance. The more you say yes to yourself and no to the people and activities that drain you, the more balanced your life will become.
Need encouragement? Get a beautiful FREE "She Blossoms" 2019 calendar when you sign up for my free weekly Blossom Tips!
If you have any questions or thoughts on these ways to balance your life, please comment below!
Gini Grey is a transformational coach, writer and teacher. She is the author of From Chaos to Calm: How to Shift Unhealthy Stress Patterns and Create Your Ideal Balance in Life, and the CD, Create What You Want In Your Life. For more information, articles or her free monthly e-zine (Insights & Inspiration), visit Gini Grey’s website.