Ready to achieve your weight loss goals? These health and fitness tips from personal trainer Nikki Fitness — and they’ll help you lose body fat. Nikki works with Crunch Manhattan in NYC as a group fitness instructor and personal trainer.
Before the top fitness tips, a quip:
“Fearlessness at twenty springs from not knowing what challenges lie ahead,” said Kathleen Turner in Send Yourself Roses. “Fearlessness at fifty comes from having wrestled with lifes’ challenges and learned from them.”
Be fearless when you’re setting and achieving your weight loss goals – and send yourself roses along the way! Here are Nikki’s top 14 health and fitness tips. And, click on her Military Wife Workout DVD for additional motivation.
14 Health and Fitness Tips From a Personal Trainer
This article has been updated and improved: 12 Small Ways to Get Healthy That Make a Big Difference. Read it instead – it’s better!
1. Figure out what your obstacles to exercise and eating well are, and make a plan to conquer and avoid those specific barriers. Tackle each barrier or excuse and write down ways to solve the problem.
2. Put one sneaker in front of the other. Many of us waste too much time saying we need to work out, but dread the process. Trick yourself by just getting dressed for it and not really thinking about the next step. This weight loss tip involves taking one step at a time! And, make sure you find a physical activity that you like.
3. Make yourself an upbeat iPod play-list or CD and dance around as you straighten up at home; find a hip-hop or African dance class at the gym; learn to bellydance at an adult education class or at the Y; plan a girls’ night out dancing. For more health and fitness tips, read 1o Workouts to Boost Your Metabolism.
4. Set fitness goals that are realistic and specific. Setting a time period as your goal will help you stick to a new fitness plan. Write down your plan of action for every day, week, etc. Make sure it is something you can measure. Start with a plan that you think you can accomplish — or even exceed. For example, go walking for 30 minutes at a time. Then, increase it to running for 20 minutes, even if you walk every so often. Eventually work up to running for 30 minutes, and so on.
5. Make active dates to see friends and family and do something that doesn’t involve eating and drinking. Walk through the park, go biking in summer, ice skate or cross country ski in winter, walk the mall, take a yoga or cardio class, or run on a treadmill right next to my friend. This tip for losing body fat involves the buddy system!
6. Think of food as a fuel, not as a gift, which means passing on food that is high in fat and sugar, taking HALF your normal portion, and packing up half your food in a restaurant in a doggy bag. For more health and fitness tips, read 8 Tips for Achieving Your Diet Goals.
7. If you have to eat at a restaurant, identify the three healthiest things on the menu and pick one. This tip for weight loss involves enjoying your life, but balancing it with a healthy eating plan.
8. Follow the food pyramid daily by focusing on whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean protein and calcium, not sweets and fats. Read up on the Mediterranean Diet Plan — it’s healthy and slimming!
9. Limit the unhealthy food. Bring healthy snacks to work, such as whole wheat crackers, almonds, grapes, or chocolate soy milk. Buy a slow cooker so that you can prepare a healthy meal in the mornings, and it’s ready for you when you get home. This health and fitness tip requires a little advance planning.
10. Drink no more than two alcoholic beverages at parties and events (if necessary, cut extra drinks with spritzers) and have a snack before these events. This weight loss tip involves restraining your alcoholic intake so you can make healthy choices.
11. Drive less and walk more. Take the stairs when possible and never go a day without some exercise. To lose body fat, make fitness a lifestyle habit. Take these health and fitness tips a step further — read How Personality Traits Affect Your Fitness Goals.
12. Invest in a gym membership, if you don’t have one already, and use it!
13. Weigh yourself every day to remember your weight loss goals and feel good about the choices you’ve made. To lose weight, connect with your body.
14. Reading health and fitness tips online, subscribe to weekly e-mailed fitness tips, and subscribe to fitness magazines. The more inspiration you get, the more likely you’ll stick to your weight loss goals.
If you have any questions or thoughts on these health and fitness tips, please comment below…