If you’re bored with your fitness routine, you won’t stay fit. These workouts to boost your metabolism range from high impact to creative movement – they include Bhangra aerobics, Capoeira, and Nia.
“I have to exercise in the morning before my brain figures out what I’m doing,” said Marsh Doble. She also quipped, “My idea of exercise is a good brisk sit.”
Yoga and running up hills are my two favorite forms of exercise. I love doing yoga because it stretches me out and leans me up. It’s also helped me get fitter than I’ve ever been before (though that could be the running up hills part of my exercise routine 🙂 ). If you’re into yoga, read How Christian Yoga and Spiritual Exercises Make You Strong.
By the way, if you want to live longer, try golfing. New research shows that the death rate for golfers is 40% lower than for non-golfers of the same sex, socioeconomic status, and age. This translates to a life expectancy of five years longer than the rest of the population! Unfortunately, I’m not a big fan of golf or mini-golf. Yawn!
The most popular workout DVD on Amazon is Jillian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred. It’s good – check out the customer reviews!
Me, I love the 10 Minute Solutions DVDs, such as 10 Minute Solution: Blast Off Belly Fat. The yoga and Pilates DVDs are particularly good – I do them for 20 minutes almost every morning. I’ve lost over 20 pounds in a couple of years, which is a slow but effective way to lose weight.
10 Workouts That Boost Your Metabolism
As I mentioned, my favorite way to work out is the 1o Minute Solutions Pilates DVDs — read 7 Tips for Working Out With Pilates Fitness DVDs for more info.
1. Nia is a whole-body expressive exercise – a fitness experience – that blends 9 movement forms, is done barefoot to music, and enhances the mind-body-spirit connection. Nia is a workout that can help you boost your metabolism by encouraging your body to move in new ways.
2. Laughter Yoga combines breathing movements with “tee-hee-hee’s” and “ha-ha-ha’s” to increase energy, lift moods, and relieve tension, increases oxygen flow, lower blood pressure, decrease stress hormones, and increases immune function. “We can now laugh at will, for absolutely no reason, and we get all the health benefits,” says laughter yoga teacher Jeffrey Briar of the Laughter Yoga Institute. “Plus, when done in a group, any ‘forced’ laughter quickly becomes real due to the social factor.”
3. Beach Tennis is a new workout that combines a regulation beach volleyball court with tennis, and suits all skill levels. Beach tennis will get you sweating fast, which will boost your metabolism! To really break that weight loss plateau, play it regularly (just trying it once may not be an effective way to lose weight).
4. Capoeira is a new way to work out for many North Americans; it combines self-defense, music and acrobatics. Capoeira encourages women to be strong, confident, and powerful. Other dance workouts include Teasersize, the Showgirl Workout, Pole Dancing, Belly Dancing, Hip Hop, jazzercise, etc – any type of dancing and sweating will trim your muscles, build new brain cells, and boost your metabolism.
Sign up for my free weekly "She Blossoms" newsletter
5. Dragon Boat Racing is, for me, a new workout that improves back, shoulder, and arm strength – and research shows that it increases the health of breast cancer survivors. Or, try canoeing or kayaking for an exhilarating challenge or restorative activity. Using your arms and upper body can break your weight loss plateau by using muscle groups in different ways.
6. Bhangra Aerobics is a lively form of folk music and dance, originating in India. Other forms of aerobics include aerobic boxing, step aerobics, and kwando. Any type of aerobics that gets your heart pumping and the sweat flowing can help boost your metabolism – especially if you do it regularly.
7. Vocal Gym is a playful way to wake up both your body and your voice. Yoga poses and simple body movements are combined with song – for both singers and non-singers alike. This is a great workout if you’re recovering from illness, interested in trying a new way to work out that’s not overly strenuous, or need a change from your regular exercise routine. It’s not exactly an interval workout for fitness buffs, but it’ll shake things up!
8. Dance Sport combines the beauty and grace of ballroom dancing with the thrill of competition. Though ballroom dancing isn’t exactly a “new” way to work out, we often forget how dancing improves brain health, coordination, and intimacy between couples.
9. Dru Yoga keeps joints relaxed, which creates a free flow of energy. It balances the chakras, improves spine flexibility, reduces back pain and controls stress. Dru yoga is about accessing the heart, healing painful emotions, and relieving your body of negative energy. This “new” way to work out involves becoming emotionally grounded, which can help you can break your weight loss plateau.
10. Hoop Fitness strengthens your core, sculpts your waistline, and relieves anxiety. It’s easy to do at home (with your kids!); weighted hoops and videos are available on the internet. While “hula hooping” isn’t a new workout, hoop fitness led by a qualified, experienced instructor can help you reach your weight loss goals and boost your metabolism. Plus, it’ll make you laugh. 🙂
If you’re over 40, you may find How I Finally Lost the Last 20 Pounds After I Turned Forty interesting. And, here are a few fitness tips to give your metabolism a jumpstart…
What do you think of these workouts? If you’ve got tips or suggestions, please comment below…