Here’s a quip from Pablo Picasso to kick it off:
“When I was a child, my mother said to me, ‘If you become a soldier, you’ll be a general. If you become a monk you’ll end up as the pope.’ Instead I became a painter and wound up as Picasso.”
See how influential mothers are? If your mom encouraged you like Picasso’s did – or if you know a mom who is as inspirational as his – celebrate her with one or two of the following tips for Mother’s Day. If you want to pamper her with a gift basket (always a great gift for mothers!), click on the image. And, read on for these quips and tips for Mother’s Day…
10 Quips and Tips for Mother’s Day
1. Quip: “A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.” – Tenneva Jordan
- Tip for Mother’s Day: Indulge your mom with her favorite sweet treat, whether it’s grandma’s homemade apple pie, gourmet chocolate or candied ginger bits. One of my favorite gifts is a huge food basket, full of everything from wine to goose liver pate.
2. Quip: “A suburban mother’s role is to deliver children obstetrically once, and by car forever after.” – Peter De Vries
- Tip for Mother’s Day: Is the mom in your life a soccer mom or car pool aficionado? Offer to take over for a month or two – or tune up her car! Does the minivan need an interior wash-and-go? Does it need new tires or a radiator flush? Take care of it, so she doesn’t have to worry.
3. Quip: “By and large, mothers and housewives are the only workers who do not have regular time off. They are the great vacationless class.” – Anne Morrow Lindbergh.
- Tip for Mother’s Day: If you can’t afford a trip to Mexico or Hawaii, arrange a weekend getaway. Give the mom in your life a change of scenery – even if it’s just for an afternoon.
4. Quip: “And remember that behind every successful woman……is a basket of dirty laundry.” – Unknown
- Tip for Mother’s Day: Give her the gift of a clean house! Hire a cleaning service to wash the floors and clean the bathroom once or twice, for 6 months. Or, focus on the exterior: hire a snow shoveling company (or the kid next door) to shovel from November to February, or to do the yardwork all summer.
5. Quip: “Everybody wants to save the earth; nobody wants to help mom with the dishes.” – P.J. O’Rourke
- Tip for Mother’s Day: If you don’t want to get practical this Mom’s Day, indulge her with her favorite perfumes, lotions, or potions. Sneak into the bathroom and make note of the brands she uses – it’ll increase the odds that you buy the right ones.
6. Quip: “The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” – Theodore M. Hesburgh
Want to Blossom?
- Tip for Mother’s Day: If you’re a husband looking for ideas for your wife and mother of your children, focus on loving her the way she wants to be loved all year long. Some women feel loved through meaningful conversations; others appreciate a few hours to go shopping alone each week. Some mothers a candlelit bubble bath a couple nights a week; others crave a dinner in a nice restaurant. Find ways to love your wife this Mother’s Day – and your gift will extend to your kids, too.
7. Quip: “Any mother could perform the jobs of several air traffic controllers with ease.” – Lisa Alther
- Tip for Mother’s Day: You could take one of her many jobs off her hands – or you could go the sentimental route. Splurge on a family ring with stones for all her children, or make a collage of pictures from past family vacations. Pull together a scrapbook of things from her past – or get a piece of her favorite jewelry cleaned and polished.
8. Quip: “Motherhood is not for the faint-hearted. Frogs, skinned knees, and the insults of teenage girls are not meant for the wimpy.” – Danielle Steel
- Tip for Mother’s Day: Instead of one big gift thanking for her courage over the years, give her a series of small ones on the first of every month, from now until next May! Think small and thoughtful: a special Christmas ornament for the tree on December 1, a carton of gourmet ice cream on July 1, a bouquet of wildflowers on February 1.
9. Quip: “She never quite leaves her children at home, even when she doesn’t take them along.” – Margaret Culkin Banning
- Tip for Mother’s Day: Treat the mom in your life to a spa day: manicure, pedicure, massage, and mud bath! She may not need to leave the city when she leaves her kids at home…
10. Quip: “A man never sees all that his mother has been to him until it’s too late to let her know that he sees it.” – W. D. Howells
- Tip for Mother’s Day: The best gift you could ever give your mom – or a mother you know – is acknowledgement of how much she does and is to you. Regardless of the state of your relationship, she did give you life and she did the best she could. Appreciate and thank her for the things she did right.
If you have any quips or tips for Mother’s Day, please comment below. And, read Tips for Adult Children of Difficult Parents if you have some motherly issues.
Need marriage help? Get free relationship advice from Marriage Coach Mort Fertel.
Want to Blossom into who God created you to be? Sign up for my free weekly "Blossom Tips" email!