“I’d love to start my own business or even a blog,” sighed my friend Beth. “But I just don’t have your self-discipline or time. By the time I get home from work, walk the dog, feed Brianna, and get ready for tomorrow…I have no motivation to do anything, much less work on a blog or business idea.”
Discipline? Pshaw. Motivation? Unnecessary.
“For me, blogging has nothing to do with self-discipline or motivation,” I told her. “Do you need discipline to breathe or let a chunk of dark chocolate melt in your mouth? (well, maybe yes to the chocolate melting – I tend to gobble). Do you need motivation to blink your eyes or swallow? That’s how I feel about blogging! It’s my passion. Some – such as my husband – would say it’s my addiction or obsession.”
I get up at 4 am so I can do my Morning Pages and write letters to God, do yoga or run, and practice my flute so I can be blogging by 7:30 am.
Thus, when my Blossom blogs were hammered by yet another destructive round of thunder, lightening, hail, wind, and rain last week…I was hammered by frustration, powerlessness, and helplessness. This time, Blossom was completely offline – totally off the internet – for four whole days.
Four days is a lifetime for an online business! An eternity for an addict.
Trying to feel peace and joy doesn’t work
I struggled to hold on to my peace and joy, my effervescence and gratitude. It’s hard for me when Blossom is offline – not just because I don’t get readers’ comments on my articles and people aren’t getting information and support for the problems I’ve written about.
Need encouragement? Get a beautiful FREE "She Blossoms" 2019 calendar when you sign up for my free weekly Blossom Tips!
It’s also business: my blogs drop in the search engine rankings when they’re offline. Google literally emails me and says, “Our bots can’t crawl your websites. You need to fix this, or we won’t put you on the first, second, or third page of our search results anymore.”
I don’t make money when my blogs are offline (I need money for food and the mortgage) and I don’t sell ebooks when my blogs are offline (every day, at least one person buys my How to Let Go of Someone You Love ebook. Every second day, someone buys my Healing Your Heart After Losing Your Dog or Cat ebook).
The best way to Blossom when you’re hammered by hail
On Day 3 of the Great Blossom Blog Breakdown – Part 2, I discovered what works. Instead of trying to change how I felt, I started changing what I thought about.
I stopped the “I am helpless and powerless” and the “I’ll never regain the ground I’ve lost” thoughts, and decided to focus on what is true, good, pure, and right.
But I couldn’t think of anything good or positive!
I mean, I knew things would work out and at least I have my health and thank God I’m living in Christ because I can’t imagine how sad I’d be without His love, freedom, peace and joy…but I didn’t have a “go to” positive phrase that would lead to a better emotional state. My pastor calls it a Life Verse.
Do you have a phrase that – when you focus on it – leads to peace and joy? Serenity and gratitude? Hope and comfort?
Thoughts we must stop thinking
- “This is awful, I can’t believe it happened to me, I think I’m going to croak.”
- “Great, now I’ve lost everything. I am completely screwed, and I’ll never be able to rebuild or recover.”
- “Could anything be worse than this? No! This is the most awful, terrible, worst thing that could ever have happened to me!”
- “Nothing good could come of this. Silver lining? Gag me! It’s just all dark clouds and floods, hail and locusts from above.”
When Blossom was down, I was consumed by “I’m helpless and powerless to do anything” thoughts because it was my webhost’s job to get my blogs back online.
And then I wondered why I didn’t feel peace or joy.
Thoughts we need to start thinking
- “I accept this, and I know that something good will come out of this.”
- “The barn’s burnt down. Now I can see the moon.”
- “I trust that God is working all things together for my good, and for the good of everyone involved…even if we can’t see it.”
- “How might this be a plot twist that I won’t understand for another 200 pages?” – Gregg Levoy.
- “I can sense the Roar of Something Greater, of His presence, of a power that is bigger and stronger and beyond me.”
- “I am loved.”
- “There’s a flow of healing, life, love, and light…and it’s always there, waiting for me to reach upwards.”
- “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
- “Who can straighten what God has made crooked?”
- “There is a time to make things happen, and a time to let things happen.” – Hugh Prather.
- “Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” – Philippians 4:6-7
What happens when you keep thinking thoughts that are true, good, joyful, positive, and uplifting? A miraculous thing! You actually start feeling peaceful, joyful, positive, hopeful, happy, and energetic. You might even find healing.
My friends, eat your food with joy, and drink your wine with a happy heart, for God approves of this. Wear fine clothes, with a splash of cologne! Choose to live happily with your friends and family through all the meaningless, troubling days God has given you under the sun. Whatever you do, do well. – Ecclesiastes 7-10.
And Blossom, right? Right.
PS My Blossom blogs are back online, living on a brand new server, wearing sporty new software, and running faster and smoother than ever!
New on Blossom
How to Decide if You Should Stay or Go – Are you ready to move one step closer to making a good decision about your relationship? These tips on how to decide if you should stay or go are from married relationship counselors; they encourage us to identify what we’re yearning for.
9 Things That Can Make Your Period Irregular -Knowing what causes irregular periods is important; even better is learning the natural remedies that regulate your menstrual cycle. Getting regular periods is awesome – whether you want to get pregnant, are planning a beach vacation, or you just want to know when to expect your monthly guest.
How to Blossom Like a Red Lobster in a Medieval Court – “But you must stubbornly walk into that room, and you must hold your head high. Never apologize for it, never explain it away, never be ashamed of it.”
How to Blossom When You’re Knee-Deep in Dirt – “True Freedom is about accepting that you’re in this situation and you have these problems…and yet you find yourself filled with light, joy, and goodwill because you refuse to step outside of God’s river of life, love, and grace.”