On this page, you’ll find
- A short bio
- My email address
- My education & work history
My undergraduate degrees are in Education and Psychology. I lived and taught in Nairobi, Kenya, for three years and have explored much of Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. Now, I live with my husband (a diamond exploration geologist) on Bowen Island, British Columbia. I’ve worked as a full-time freelance writer since February 2008 (and freelanced part-time for a year before that).
And, I love quips!
“I find that the very things I get criticized for, which is usually being different and just doing my own thing and being original, are the very things that make me successful,” says Canadian singer Shania Twain. This is one of my favorite quips – and tips! Be different. Do your own thing; don’t apologize for your originality and authenticity.
My Email Address
lauriekienlen at yahoo dot ca
Education & Experience
University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB; 2001
B. Ed. Degree in Secondary Education
Major Language Arts, Minor Social Studies, Secondary specialization
University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB; 1994
B.A. Degree in Psychology
Major Psychology, Minor Criminology
Feature Writer for Psychology Suite 101, October 2006 – present
- Write and edit articles about all aspects of thought and human behavior
- Update Psych blog regularly; manage and participate in Psychology discussions
Freelance Writer January 2006 – present
See “Published Works” for a full list of my published articles.
- Generate, research, and write articles for magazines including Woman’s Day, Flare, Reader’s Digest, alive, Health & Wellness, and Health.
Writer and Editor for the Body Image on BellaOnline, Aug 2006 – September 2007
- Wrote and edited Body Image articles to encourage and inform readers
- Sent weekly Body Image newsletter to subscribers
- Monitored and maintained Body Image forum and email
Mentoring Coordinator, Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Calgary; Aug 2004 – June 2005
- Interviewed, trained, and matched adults with children; coordinated and monitored matches
- Facilitated relationships through regular follow-up, match reviews, support as needed
- Developed materials, processes, and framework for pilot program Between Generations and managed the program out of four schools
Teacher, Grade 8 Language Arts and High School Journalism, Rosslyn Academy, Nairobi, Kenya, East Africa; 2001 – 2004
- Planned, taught, & achieved American curriculum academic standards
- Met with students, parents, teachers & administration to assist student success
- Facilitated Middle School Student Council executive and events
Team Leader, Eighth Grade, Rosslyn Academy, Nairobi, Kenya; 2002 – 2004
- Coordinated core teachers & overall planning of projects & activities; facilitated biweekly team meetings
- Organized & supervised Interdisciplinary Projects, on & off campus Service Projects & Cultural Field Studies trips
- Communicated with parents & consulted with administration & other teachers regarding student care, behaviour patterns, retention probability, etc.
Writer/Editor, Rosslyn Academy, Nairobi, Kenya; 2002-2003
- Conducted research for & wrote the 2003/04 Parent/Student Handbook (65 pgs)
Volunteer, Bowen Island Public Library, Bowen Island, BC; Feb 2007- present
- Assist library patrons with finding books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, etc.
- Check out books, assist with book requests, manage front desk
- Shelve returned books
Newsletter Coordinator, Cates Hill Chapel, Bowen Island, BC; Mar 2006-July 2007
- Gather info and news from members and staff for newsletter
- Write, edit, format, and distribute newsletter monthly
Social Committee Member, RosslynAcademy, Nairobi, Kenya; 2003 – 2004
- Coordinated formal banquets and informal social events for staff & families
Middle School Student Council Facilitator, Rosslyn Academy, Kenya; 2001 – 2002
- Guided weekly Student Council meetings
- Oversaw student planning & execution of formal & informal events for the Middle School
Deacon, Central Baptist Church, Edmonton, AB; 2000 – 2001
- Provided care & support to church members & visitors
- Assisted with various events and courses
- Attended monthly leadership meetings & participated in organizational decisions
President, Undergrad Psychology Association, U of A, Edmonton, AB; 1992 – 1994
- Supervised the club’s events & activities
- Assisted & guided executive members in their roles
- Scheduled & facilitated meetings
Stay in touch!
Feel alone? Join our tangled garden of wildflowers:
Thanks for reading all the way to the end, and please contact me if you have any questions!