How to Lose 20 Pounds After You Turn 40
Eating an extra 100 calories a day can cause weight gain and sabotage your weight loss attempts! These tips for losing weight without dieting will help you achieve your weight loss goals and feel great about your size and shape. Remember, you don’t need to weight 120 pounds to be beautiful.
Before the tips, a quip:
“The wild emaciated look appeals to some women, though not to many men, who are seldom seen pinning up a Vogue illustration in a machine shop,” said Peg Bracken.
Men aren’t as enchanted by skinny women as women are — so your best bet is to find a happy balance between accepting your body the way it is and getting fitter and stronger. For more weight loss tips, read 100 Days of Weight Loss: The Secret to Being Successful on Any Diet Plan. And, here are nine effective ways to achieve your weight loss goals…
How to Lose 20 Pounds After You Turn 40
1. Chew sugarless gum. Instead of munching on those mini chocolate bars or bags of potato chips, chew gum. I’m chewing a wad of Bubblemint Extra right now – and it definitely satisfies both my sweet tooth and my urge to eat fattening foods. This is one of the best ways to lose weight after your turn 40 years old.
2. Buy snacks that don’t tempt you. If those mini chocolate treats are your weakness, then don’t buy them (they sabotage my weight loss goals every time!). Leave the bags of red licorice and potato chips that could tempt you in the store; instead, make yourself healthy snack packs. Raisons, nuts, and dark chocolate chips will stabilize your blood sugars and fill you up, which will help you eat less at meal times.
3. If you have to buy treats for your family, then hide them from yourself. Instead of keeping a big bowl of chocolate or sugar treats on your desk or within arm’s reach in the kitchen, stash your treats in the top shelf or a desk in a land far, far away. Weight loss after age 40 means you need to keep the temptations out of sight.
4. Don’t let yourself get too hungry. Keep your blood sugar level and your hunger pangs at bay by eating regular treat that are good for you. This way, you won’t find yourself eating mindlessly. If you’re part of a couple who wants to lose weight, keep each other accountable for tips for losing fat and gaining muscle.
5. Drink tea with sweetener or diet drinks. I don’t want to push aspartame or artificial sweeteners because the jury is still out on the health risks, but I find that a cup of tea with milk and Splenda helps to curb my craving for sweets. Diet drinks can also fill you up, so you don’t end up binging on unhealthy foods.
6. Figure what you’re really hungry for. “Don’t get sucked into the ‘see food diet’ mentality that makes you want to eat the candy simply because you see it and not because you are hungry,” says Brian Wansink, author of Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think. “We eat more of visible foods because it causes us to think about it more…”
7. Walk around the block every time you snack. Every time you grab one of those mouth-watering mini chocolate bars, walk around the block FIRST. This is a great way to distract yourself from the urge to snack on treats — and it’s one of the most effective, easiest tips for weight loss after age 40. By the time you get back from your walk, the urge to snack may have passed.
8. Savor a small piece of chocolate every second day. I try to eat my favorite chocolate chip cookies every second day — not every day. Knowing that tomorrow I can indulge helps me resist my craving today. Another way to lose 20 pounds after you turn 40 and stay slim without dieting is to indulge in your favorite treat occasionally so you don’t feel deprived.
9. Count the empty wrappers. Keeping the empty wrappers right in front of you will remind you of how many treats you ate, which will encourage you to stop eating sooner than you would if you weren’t keeping track. It’s easy to keep mindlessly munching the mini chocolate bars and bags of potato chips, and lose track of how quickly the calories are adding up. A great tip for losing 20 pounds is to keep the evidence of your snacking in plain view.
Related to Your Search
If you have any questions or thoughts about these tips for losing 20 pounds after you turn 40, please comment below…