Starting with a game of I-Spy for people who love to count and ending with a treasure hunt, this is the funnest and funkiest list of things to do when you’re bored at home, school, work, or in the hospital.
I have a gazillion things I love do when I’m bored, and all include the letters B. L. O. G. Blog, think about what I should blog next, brainstorm blog post ideas, create new blog headers, start new blogs (even when I’m not bored, it’s one of those things I love to do), learn how other bloggers make money from their blogs….
Can you tell that blogging is not only my favorite thing to do – it’s also my passion? If you’re bored, it’s probably because you haven’t found anything you’re passionate about. Before you scroll through my list of things to do when you’re bored at home, school, work, or in the hospital…take a minute to think about why you’re here. On this planet. At this time. In this place. God brought you here for a reason…what do you think it is?
One of my friends builds guitars — that’s his favorite thing to do when he’s bored. You could try learning a musical instrument – it’s good for your brain and it’ll give you something interesting to do. I recently started playing the flute, and will be joining an orchestra soon. If you like to listen to music, you might love learning how to play an instrument.
If you’re a bored AND broke – and you’re not a musician or a blogger – read 25 Odd Jobs and Hobbies That Make Money in Creative Ways – even if you’re not looking for a job yet. Maybe it’s time to start saving money for college, or a trip to Thailand, or to give to people who have no time to be bored because they’re working like crazy. I was never bored when I was a kid because I started working when I was 11 years old (only as a babysitter, but still! It was a job!). And I loved to read, and write a little. But mostly read. So I was actually never bored.
A List of At Least 127 Things to Do When You’re Bored at Home or Somewhere Else Boring
“The best remedy for those who are afraid, lonely or unhappy is to go outside, somewhere where they can be quiet, alone with the heavens, nature and God. Because only then does one feel that all is as it should be.” – Anne Frank.
Tell me: when I say “God”, what comes to your mind? If you’re super bored, write to me in the comments section below. Tell me what your vision of Heaven is, and who you think is up there right now…
Or, just mindlessly scroll through this list of things to do when you’re bored…
1. Play my I-Spy game. Here’s how: you count the number of duplicate numbers in this list of “127” Things to Do When You’re Bored (there are actually many more than 127. I keep adding to this list, and I’m just too
lazy busy to number them properly).
1. Where is Aritzia? Look up weird names in an atlas
2. Make chocolate or hemp soap as a gift for someone
2. Make up your own reality show
3. Make up with someone you’re fighting with
4. Read a book
5. Clean out your junk drawer or medicine cabinet
6. Set new financial goals – or figure out how to pay off your debt
6. Pluck your eyebrows
7. Make a list of things you love about your partner, child, or parent
8. Dress up in a gold suit, put gold paint all over your body, and learn how to sit on air. When you master the craft, go sit outside. Put a box in front of you. What’s the box for? You tell me! (If you don’t know, ask me in the comments section below. I’ll tell you.).
8. Listen to soothing music or soft rock. Cry if you need to
9. Read a thriller or juicy romance novel (thanks @Lynn_Murphy for this boredom buster!)
10. Write your the story of your life. Read How to Write When You Have No Ideas if your life is too boring to write about
11. Update your email list
12. Email your friends and ask for their favorite things to do when they’re bored
13. Trade Wii games and gear with your friends — or try the newest Wii games
14. Write an apology to someone you’ve been avoiding
14. Make homemade lavender ice cream (or bacon ice cream, or whisky ice cream)
15. Learn what your favourite dog breed reveals about your personality
15. Bake oatmeal chocolate chunk coconut cookies
16. Memorize 5 new words from the dictionary (boring, even for a writer geek like me)
17. Play sudoku – thanks @BJMuntain for this boredom buster
18. Organize your recipes
19. Read your old diaries (one of my favorite things to do when I’m bored)
20. Find a volunteer job – read 6 Reasons You’ll Love Volunteering as a Big Sister or Big Brother
20. Write a song – maybe this will be the start of a new career!
21. Try aromatherapy
21. Learn how to juggle
21. Teach your cricket how to juggle
21. Find a cricket
21. Learn if crickets exist in your part of the world
22. Make your Christmas wish list
23. Plan your 100th birthday party so it’s not boring
23. Freewrite everything that pops into your head
24. Clean the bathroom
25. Learn how to deal with controlling parents
25. Do an office workout (if you’re bored at work or on a long car ride)
26. Make a list of things to do before you die
27. Tell me: who or what makes you happier than anything in the whole wide world?
28. Tell God what you’re glad He created
29. Count your money
30. Give yourself a manicure or pedicure
31. Give your BFF a manicure or pedicure
32. Find a new hobby
33. Find a new way to make friends
34. Go rescue a lost puppy, crying child, or sad spider
35. Tell me: what’s the biggest problem you have right now? Besides the fact that you’re bored out of your mind at home or school or work
36. Start planning your mom or dad’s next birthday party
37. Go outside and play that game that people play when they’re bored
38. Pretend you’re a tourist in your own city
39. Wash your dog
40. Brush your cat
41. Brush your mom’s hair
42. Go to the library (one of my favorite things to do when I’m bored)
42. Learn how to be a volunteer mentor through Big Sisters/Big Brothers
43. Clean out your closet
44. Donate your preloved clothes to charity
44. Remember something you forgot
45. Watch old movies
46. Learn how vision boards help you achieve your goal
47. Join a MeetUp group
48. Start a MeetUp group (a great thing to do when you’re bored!)
48. Read Unbored: The Essential Field Guide to Serious Fun – it’s a book full of things to do when you’re bored, such as classic science experiments, crafts and upcycling, board game hacking, code-cracking, geocaching, skateboard repair, yarn-bombing, stop-action movie-making, best-of lists, and much much much more
49. Clean out your kitchen cupboards
50. Write a letter
51. Update your resume
51. Make low-fat high-fiber pancakes that don’t taste as boring as they sound
52. Google old friends
53. Play Lexulous on Facebook – thanks @venusvision for this boredom buster
54. Clip your nose hairs
55. Write a letter to your mom, telling her what you love about her
56. Rearrange your living room or bedroom
57. Go to the dog park
58. Face your demons
59. Call your grandma or grandpa
60. Tell me: what has your Guardian Angel protected you from so far?
61. Practice self-hypnosis
62. Plan your next vacation – read my Africa travel tips article – I lived there for three years!
63. Read When You’re Bored, Do These 15 Productive Things (but only if you actually want to declutter your closet or work on your physical health)
63. Make a “to do” list for tomorrow, so you’re not bored again tomorrow
64. Read poetry
55. Learn to crochet or knit
64. Start thinking about your scholarship applications
65. Research your family tree
66. Make a household budget
67. Take a bubble bath
68. Download your photos – maybe you’ll see you haven’t had such a boring life after all
70. Organize your finances
71. Clean up a mess
72. Write a letter to your dad, telling him what you love about him
72. Write a short story
73. Pretend you’re asleep
74. Learn 12 small ways to get healthy that make a big difference (is this a boring thing to do when you’re already bored?)
75. Draw your bedroom on the back of a postage stamp
76. Sort through old photos (one of my favorite things to do when I’m bored)
77. Make a scrapbook
78. Play online trivia games
79. Go for a walk
79. Tell me: what is the best thing that ever happened to you?
80. Tell me: who do you wish was sitting beside you right now?
80. Pick up trash in your neighborhood
81. Get a job (unless you’re looking for things to do because you’re bored at work!)
82. Write a song
82. Read How to Know What to Do With Your Life and give me more ideas for that list of things to do for bored people
83. Start a blog (but not a boring one)
84. Write a blog post about how boring your life is
85. Change your blog theme
85. Read through the comments on this blog post – add to the collection of things to do when you’re bored at home
86. Dust the shelves
87. Listen to talk radio
88. Talk a walk down memory lane
90. Grab a yoga mat, focus on deep breathing, and re-energize with deep stretching – thanks @catlover1964 for this boredom buster
91. Do crossword puzzles
92. Wax your bikini line
93. Give yourself a massage
94. Create a unique board game
95. Pray. Ask God to give you direction, hope, wisdom, joy, peace!
96. Clean out your old computer files and make room on your phone or tablet for more junk
97. Paint a self portrait
98. Learn to juggle (one of my husband’s favorite things to do when he’s bored)
99. Read old magazines
100. Tweet messages of encouragement and hope
101. Lie on the grass
102. Lie in the snow
103. Lie in the rain
104. Don’t lie to yourself or your mother
104. Toilet train your cat
104. Learn why life is more interesting when you hold on tight to God
105. Listen to different types of music
106. Try to make it through an hour without touching the floor (thanks Eliza for sharing this creative thing to do when you’re bored!)
107. Make silver coins with foil, and create a treasure hunt (thanks Renee for this boredom buster!)
108. Turn the music up LOUD and DANCE your boredom away (thanks Macie for this fun thing to do when you’re bored!)
109. Tell me how many “things to do when you’re bored” are actually on this list (I honestly have no idea, because of the duplicates)
110. Tell me one way to improve this blog – what would you do differently if it was yours?
110. Get motivated to get your college degree
111. Watch Zoolander but don’t do what they did when they were bored at the beginning of the movie!
112. Tell me what your favorite movie is!
113. Plan a treasure hunt for your dog or cat, by hiding treats in strategic areas around the yard. But not if you have a rat problem and you think your dog or cat won’t find all the treats.
Ok, my bored friend, back to the I-Spy game that I talked about in the first tip. How many “thing to do when you’re bored” are on this list? Go back to the first activity idea and start counting!
May you find blessing and peace, joy and love. May you walk in faith, believe in the roar of something greater, and connect with the deep love of Jesus. Take good care of yourself, because you are worth taking good care of…and you are loved more than you’ll ever know.
Stay in touch!
Feel alone? Join our tangled garden of wildflowers: