Signs of Emotional Problems, Plus 3 Steps to Emotional Freedom
Not all emotional problems are easy to recognize, especially since different people experience different emotional health issues in different ways! These signs of emotional or mental health issues include three steps to emotional freedom, plus links to Judith Orloff’s books on emotional healing.
“Feelings are like waves: we can’t stop them from coming but we can choose which one to surf.” ~ Jonatan Mårtensson
You may have good reason to feel sad, anxious, angry, frustrated, or betrayed – but you don’t have to ride those feelings. Remember: what you focus on becomes bigger.
For emotional health help, read Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear into Vibrance, Strength, and Love by Judith Orloff.
Here are a few signs of emotionally unhealthy…plus solutions.
Signs of Emotional Problems
- You have trouble with “normal” activities, such as riding in cars or elevators, stepping on cracks, or getting on airplanes.
- You’re causing harm to other people.
- You have no or few friends – and you’re unhappy about it.
- You’re often fighting with friends, siblings, family, your partner, your kids.
- You can’t establish a real connection with your partner or kids – or you have a fear of intimacy.
- You feel unhappy, sad, or distressed more often than you feel happy or content.
- You know at some level that you need to deal with something, grieve, or face a fear but you keep putting it off.
- You feel anxious, guilty, or angry – and you don’t know why.
More Extreme Symptoms of Depression, Anxiety, Fear, or Guilt
- You can’t get out of your bed, home, or city.
- You cry all the time.
- You become easily enraged.
- People advise you to get professional help or seek therapy.
- You refuse to eat, limit what you eat, or can’t stop eating.
- Your partner or children refuse to have contact with you.
- You use alcohol, food, gambling, shopping, etc. to distract you. You’re addicted, heavily in debt, or suffering because of your lifestyle.
- You consider or have attempted to end it all.
3 Steps to Emotional Freedom
Remember – not everything needs to be fixed! For instance, if you only have a few friends but are happy, then don’t force yourself to change. Before you take steps to solve your emotional problems…make sure you actually have a problem to solve.
1. Be open to different ways to break your unhealthy habits or patterns. Getting emotionally healthy doesn’t necessarily mean taking antidepressants or talking to a psychologist. Emotional freedom can be found in reading books such as Emotional Freedom: Liberate Yourself from Negative Emotions and Transform Your Life, talking to friends and family, or even just joining a club or fitness program.
2. Get emotional and psychological support. If you can’t make the changes alone, get help from a counselor, family members, or friends. Books, online support forums, in-person support groups, and even more casual knitting circles or book clubs can also be effective (depending on your needs and situation).
3. Consider alternative or complementary treatments for emotional health problems. Some natural cures for depression help with feelings of anxiety, fear, guilt, or even panic. Holistic health modalities can be very effective for emotional health issues, such as the Emotional Freedom Technique or herbal supplements.
For more tips for emotional freedom, read Are You Stuck in the Past? Getting Unstuck With EMDR Therapy.
If you have any thoughts about these signs of emotional problems or steps to emotional freedom, please comment below…
What's going on in your life? Tell me below!I don't give advice, but writing can bring healing to your spirit and soul.Take heart, keep the faith, have courage ... Laurie