Exercise Health Benefits – 10 Reasons Why Working Out is Good for You
I’m a writer who works out at home almost every day, and I often write about the health benefits of exercise. Here are ten reasons why working out at home or in the gym is so good for you. These tips will keep you motivated to achieve your health and fitness goals!
Before the tips, a quip:
“I don’t really need buns of steel,” said Ellen DeGeneres. “I’d be happy with buns of cinnamon.”
Funny and yummy, but buns of cinnamon aren’t exactly great fitness goals. I love working out with 10 Minute Solutions, and the pictured “Knockout Body” DVD is one of my favorites. Click it for more info, and read on for the top ten health benefits of exercise…
10 Healthy Reasons to Work Out at Home or in the Gym
1. Clear, healthy, acne-free skin. Regular physical activity promotes circulation and sends nutrients to your skin, making breakouts of acne less frequent. Plus, acne clears up faster if you’re regularly sending oxygen to your skin by exercising.
2. Better sleep. You’re more likely to achieve your weight loss goals if you’re rested and energized! It’s an upward spiral: good sleep leads to a healthier body, and a healthier body leads to better sleep. As long as you don’t exercise two hours before bed, you’ll get better, deeper sleep if you exercise regularly. You’ll also fall asleep faster.
3. Lower feelings of stress at work and home. The more you exercise, the better you’ll cope with anxiety, stress and depression. You’ll enjoy more of the naturally induced happy, positive hormones (endorphins). You’ll feel happier, more productive, and centered in your life…a definite health benefit of exercise!
4. Delicious food. If you work out regularly, you can indulge in your favorite gourmet chocolates without feeling guilty. Okay, that’s not really a health benefit of exercise, it’s more of a side benefit — but indulging in delicious food is good for your emotional and physical state of being!
5. Better brain health. Exercise drives more oxygen to feed your brain, which helps you think quickly and clearly. Learning new physical activities such as dance or jazzercise – or doing Wii Fit – builds new connections between your brain cells and helps clear environmental toxins.
6. Increased confidence levels. Not only will you have more confidence in yourself if you exercise regularly, you’ll be perceived as kinder, smarter and more confident. Feeling good about yourself (empowered!) is one of the best benefits of exercise.
7. Toned, defined muscles. The more you exercise, the stronger and healthier your muscles will become — and the better they’ll serve you now and as you get older. Working out isn’t all about weight loss. It’s about feeling toned, fit, and healthy. Working out is about building the mind-body connection and learning what your body can do for you.
8. Higher libido and intimacy levels. Physical activity sends more blood to all parts of your body, making you respond more quickly to your partner’s touch. You’ll enjoy intimacy more not only because you’re losing weight — you’ll also be more confident about your body. Increasing the connection to your partner is one of the best exercise health benefits.
9. Stronger immune system. Regular exercise helps combat free radicals and makes you sweat, which releases the toxins that trigger disease and infections. Plus, working out lower blood pressure, decreases levels of bad cholesterol, and increases your heart health.
10. Increased energy. Physical activity not only helps with weight loss, it’s also a great way to increase your energy levels. Having energy to enjoy life is definitely a benefit of exercise – maybe one of the best!
For me, working out at home is better than going to the gym: less expensive, less hassle, and more comfortable. To learn how to get the most of your home-based workout, read 7 Tips for Working Out With Pilates Fitness DVDs.
Related to Your Search
If you have any questions or comments about these health benefits of exercise, I welcome you below!