Short-term success is fleeting — you want to create success that lasts a long time. These six tips for making success last will help you stay on top of your game – after winning it!
These tips were prompted by a reader who asked a question on my Overcoming Fear of Success article:
Need encouragement to Blossom into a new season of life? Sign up for my free weekly emails!
“I have most of the ‘symptoms’ of Fear of Success listed in your article, but it is the idea of not believing that I can sustain the success once I achieve it is REALLY the crux of my problem. Can you recommend articles focusing on that?”
One of my favorite books about success is Malcolm Gladwell’s bestselling Outliers: The Story of Success. He describes how and why some people are successful, and says that success is due to a variety of different situations, cultures, activities, habits, personalities, and even the decade successful people were born in.
And, here are a few tips for sustaining the success you create…
6 Ways to Create Success That Lasts a Long Time
“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts,” said Winston Churchill.
1. Keep doing what works. You didn’t achieve your goals by fluke or accident, though you can improve your luck. To create long-term success, make note of the habits, activities, or thoughts that made you successful. Who did you surround yourself with, and what did you always do? What did you never do? Be consistent in doing what worked.
2. Be open to change. Yes, you need to be consistent in doing what works…but you also need to remember that situations, people, and culture can change. What worked last year – or last month – may not work today. To create long-term success, be open to changing what worked in the past but doesn’t work now.
Do you want to create long-term success in your career? Read Why Doing a Good Job Won’t Get You Ahead at Work.
3. Expect setbacks. Be prepared to face difficulties, my friend. No matter what type of success you enjoy or how hard you’ve worked, you will face setbacks, frustrations, and outright failures. Else, you wouldn’t be growing and moving forward! Problems and challenges mean you’re moving ahead and taking on new challenges – and with forward momentum come problems.
4. Trust that you can and will survive setbacks. Remember, you’ve already overcome obstacles to achieving your goals, handled difficulties, and exerted willpower and self-discipline. To create long-term success, don’t fear or worry about the setbacks the future could bring – or your ability to handle them. Instead, rest in the fact that you can and will find the resources to handle whatever new problems come along.
5. Be aware of your weaknesses, and stock your toolbox. Time to tune in to your personality and psyche: what are your personal weaknesses and flaws? What could stop you from creating long-term success? Find tools to help you deal with those now – before you’re faced with a problem. For instance, if you tend to procrastinate, you might want to learn various ways to stop procrastinating. If you need help with that, let me know in the comments section below. I don’t procrastinate!
If you have a bad habit that can impede future success, read 8 Ways to Break Your Bad Habits – A Psychologist’s Tips. To sustain success you need to be aware of potential pitfalls that are within you…and learn how to cope with those weaknesses.
6. Take the mystery and glamour out of success. My last way to create long-term success is to make success a habit. Don’t think of success as a one-time thing or a lucky break! Success is something you create, and that you can achieve and sustain for the long-term. There’s nothing mysterious or glamorous about success, my friend. It’s hard work, habits, and heavy lifting for the brain. For more success tips, read Stephen Covey’s classic The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People contains solid info on building habits that work long-term to achieve and sustain your goals.
For more tips, read How to Turn Your Dreams Into Achievable Goals.
Do you have any thoughts on these tips for creating success that lasts? Please comment below!